schooling fish

adam_danielle

Any of the medium-sized tetras would work - serpae, bleeding heart, rummy nose, etc. etc. Or maybe try barbs, they're a lot like tetras.

Coridoras catfish would be great. Maybe a Bristlenose pleco or two... or three (I have 1m/2f in my 55gal)

What kind of gourami do you have? Might make a slight difference in what would be suitable. Some gourami's are a little more high maintenance than others. Paradise fish for example prefer some lower temperatures compared to most, moonlight and snakeskin get a bit bigger, 6-8 inches, and may eat some smaller schooling fish.

Like previously suggested, 7 or 8 cory's would be fun, you've got lots of tetra selections, you could also do Iratherina Werneri, it's a rainbow fish and I don't know the common name, sorry. It looks like it would be related to a betta, only with more streamlined fins. Very cool looking fish, though it's probably not the best option as it needs harder more alkaline water, when your gourami's need some, acidic water.

My biggest suggestion is Emperor Tetra's aka Nematobrycon Palmeri, my fav tetra, very beautiful and very interesting to watch. Beautiful fins, in my opinion nicer than all other tetra's, and they get to almost 3 inches. I've seen people with just 2 or 3, but they create a much more spectacular display with 7 or 8. When I had mine, they'd never leave each other, and would swim around in formations I didn't understand, but I'm sure had some significance to them. Very cool fish I plan to have again one day.

how can i get my grammys to breed

That's a little tougher. Ideally you're going to want a seperate tank, probably 20 gallons. There are probably some more specifics for the different species, but basically it should be the same. I don't know for sure how hard it is as I've never done it, but the eggs are higher maintenance than most, as you have to lower the water level to half or a third of the volume, or the eggs may not develop their labyrinth. I think there's another step, sealing it or something for condensation, I don't remember, with no filter. You'll also want some java moss floating in the tank, possibly in a corner, to help the male with his bubble nesting duties.

I'm sure someone here can give you a step by step, or point you to another forum with a thread on this very topic.

Are you sure you have a male/female pair? That'd be a good start, too ;-)

-Hideo

Edited by Mighty Prawn

This is a good one for breeding the larger gouramis. I know this says blue but the gold are basically the albino version of the blue. I have 6 of them all over 5 inches living in a tank with a 7 inch green terror some severums and some haps. Angelfish should not be kept in a tank with small tetras such as neons or cardinals unless you enjoy feeding your angelfish expensive feeder fish. Also barbs often like to chew on the dangly bits of the angels which pisses them off to no end. Anyway here is the link, and remember to play soft music while the gourami sex is going on. They don't care about the music but it's good to listen too while the males blow bubbles. Notice I didn't say Dean Martin music. :Dhttp://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Gouramis,%...%20Gouramis.htm

Edited by HOSStile

Its funny, I am trying to discourage my gouramis to breed. They tear apart my plants trying to make a bubble nest. I keep the temps cooler, and the water line as high as it can go lol. I can't help it if I have a sexy tank I guess lol