Big Als Closing Down

How about tank stands and SW live rock? When is the sale until?

BTW Milan, most people don't say "if you have any questions feel free to drop by the store, phone us, e-mail us, and maybe even post on AlbertAquatica so we can answer your questions."

All 25%, but there is no live rock for sale. They have a tank full with big letters saying not for sale.

-Hideo

Bet it's going to the new location.

They're going to sell off as much old stock as they can, instead of dragging it all to the new location, would be my guess.

third thread on this....

just wanted to say...worked there eight years...no new thread as far as I know!

glad that I finally found a thread that some people felt bad about the store closing...nice to see...I am sure for the owners and employees who have just up and lost their job in a day.

No idea when the last day will be...

and to be honest, brodie did not create an account to make an extra buck...but as we are being removed from the premises what do you think will happen to the fish? The owners have been sleeping in the store as the landlord has changed the lock and there is no way in if we leave. Figured I would let you k now on my own behalf and not for the store.

also, that live rock was not Big Al's live rock as I was having someones tank drilled becasue they are tired of the "nitrate factory" canister filter and he picked it all up today including his tank. If big als was out to make a quick buck it would have been for sale.

Sorry to hear that so many of you are happy we're gone, and nice to hear a few of you will miss us. We will have to see what happens to that calgary market now that the store is gone. Perhaps you folks and myslef will have to start paying edmontons prices? haha 8.99 for cherry shrimp!

I would like to leave on a nice note, so why not lay off with the past experiences and sho some repsect for the employees and owners and their families.

Nate

third thread on this....

just wanted to say...worked there eight years...no new thread as far as I know!

glad that I finally found a thread that some people felt bad about the store closing...nice to see...I am sure for the owners and employees who have just up and lost their job in a day.

No idea when the last day will be...

To answer this and your other replys, Nate, I honestly don't care. Now, if we were back East, yeah I'd feel a little bad for you guys and gals considering the job market, even with the poor service.

But we're not back East, are we? If you've got any ambition at all, you shouldn't be out of work for more than a few days here in Alberta. If you are, let me know. I have the locations of several Superstores in Calgary can refer you to. Don't whine to me about being unemployed - not in this province.

and to be honest, brodie did not create an account to make an extra buck...but as we are being removed from the premises what do you think will happen to the fish? The owners have been sleeping in the store as the landlord has changed the lock and there is no way in if we leave. Figured I would let you k now on my own behalf and not for the store.

Sure.....brodie was just thinking about the fish. Yup.

also, that live rock was not Big Al's live rock as I was having someones tank drilled becasue they are tired of the "nitrate factory" canister filter and he picked it all up today including his tank. If big als was out to make a quick buck it would have been for sale.

Wow. All the live rock in the store isn't yours, but customers? Whatever.

Sorry to hear that so many of you are happy we're gone, and nice to hear a few of you will miss us. We will have to see what happens to that calgary market now that the store is gone. Perhaps you folks and myslef will have to start paying edmontons prices? haha 8.99 for cherry shrimp!

Yes, yes....I'm sure the Calgary market is going to skyrocket and we will all lose our shirts with you gone. Especially missing your Boxing Day deals where there is such a huge mark down, that we can buy stock for almost normal prices. (Except salt and EVERYONE uses that as a loss leader on Boxing Day.)

I would like to leave on a nice note, so why not lay off with the past experiences and sho some repsect for the employees and owners and their families.

Nate

No one is taking shots at the good employees, only the bad ones. No one is taking shots at anyone's families, although I agree with another poster about employees not bothering to think of our families while they ripped us off.

As for the owners - I'm glad they are out of business. Their customer service sense doesn;t belong in retail.

I'd like to see you address one thing Nate - the blue ring octopus. Let's all hear about how wonderfully you guys handled that.

I do have to add that I was really disappointed and upset to see so many tanks of dead or dying fish. One tank had about 7 dead Discus and another had about 15 or so dead or dying Discus. We have often gone to Big Als just to see what they have etc...and I have never seen that many dead fish! I was appalled. Almost every tank had floaters (and not just one or two).

Now, I realize that they are closing out, and it was busy...but omg what a terrible site to see...beautiful, expensive fish gasping at the surface...dying.

Yes ok, I am being dramatic...but I am one of those people that wanna rescue dying or sick fish and Dave wouldn't let me! He said no...they are too far gone, never make it home blah blah blah! When he says that to me...ya know they are beyond help! LOL he is a sucker for the underdog too!

I don't think just because they are closing, the fish should be ignored. Just my opinion.

Tammy :cry:

Brodie, I can honestly sympathize being with a company which is about to let you go. Here is a link which may help you in your job search. They have postings for over 1000 jobs in the Calgary area

http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/JobResult_en.asp?...=&Student=false

I have also had good experience with opening up the yellow pages. (The third guy I called hired me over the phone without a resume)

If you are still having problems finding work pm me here. I know a number of good employers also looking for good people

Dave

I have worked in the retail industry for years. Would buy out close outs/stores gone bankrupt/bank seizures and whatnot. Going to stores at day break with a sheriff and packing up everything. I would feel awful, looking at the owners as I packed up their merchandise. All the money, blood, sweat and tears they put into a store and still couldn't make it. Very hard emotionally and financially. I do feel for the owners of Big Als and the staff. Very hard to get up and not know whether the door will be open or permanently locked. Going about business as usual when it is not "usual". Everyone in a negative mood. Very hard to work like that. Been there , done that and I HATED it. Everyone has a go "bleep" yourself attitude. But one has to reflect on why and how did they get to this position? Prices? Staff? Customer service (whether it be management/employee relationship or staff/customer)? I would love to ask them (the owners) if they could do it all again, what would they change?

This is just my 3 cents.

......We will have to see what happens to that calgary market now that the store is gone. Perhaps you folks and myslef will have to start paying edmontons prices? haha 8.99 for cherry shrimp!

Nate

"Après moi le déluge" [after me, the flood] - Louis XV, King of France (1715-1774),

How pathetic ...! The world of aquatic hobby does not come to an end with your store not being around, nor it's going to affect the market in Calgary in any sense. And as for the employees, please stop patronizing them ... All they have to do is to walk into a next door store and apply. Plenty of "help wanted" signs everywhere. I'm sure they will fare well. BA had no career jobs either .... right?

Your entire post Nate, I easily stop caring about the owners reading it. The lock is changed and the owners have to sleep in the store at night. What will happen to the fish if you close down suddenly, you say? They'll probably all die, very fast. Which is why, if your store was not a money hungry place, but a place that CARES about fish, you would offer every fish for dirt cheap or even free, JUST so they have a home, rather than being killed. If they're going to DIE anyways, why not GIVE them away?

Because the owners would rather scrape up as many last dollars as they can, at the risk of losing all the innocent animals.

It's just so aggrevating. I don't want ANY of the fish in that store, because none of them interest me. However if they were suddenly free, or very cheap, I would buy up as many as I could, house them properly until I could give them away to good homes. I would PAY for fish, if affordable, only to turn around and give them away to good homes. Like a mini-SPCA for fish.

I expected poopy deals on the hardgoods, those can probably be shipped back to the main location or whatever, but the fish, if they will just end up dead, should be free to all who can care for them.

I have a 180 gallon tank coming, which will leave me with a 55 gallon, 33 gallon and a second 55 gallon that are empty. With that space I could easily save every guppy you have in a single 55. And I had planned to, until I got there and saw the poopy deals.

The point is I went in there feeling sad, until I saw the terrible prices on livestock. Even with the discounts, I can often get a better deal still at Gold's.

I'll tell you what Big Als Calgary closing down will do, give Petland, Petsmart, Petcetera, Pisces, Riverfront and Gold's more business.

When the owners of Big Als decides to SAVE the livestock, I will decide to start feeling sorry for them. I'll tell you, if I worked there, and the owners were being so selfish as to possibly ending up with no choice but to kill those fish, I would convince them to SAVE them, or I would walk out, disgusted at their greed.

-Hideo

Wow, I honestly cannot believe how many of you people are dicks on the internet, or over the phone. None of you have sympathy for the owners, or staff? What is wrong with you guys? How would you feel if you had a buisness, and it got shut down, and you had to do what Big Al's is doing? Do you honestly think you would be in a great mood? Everyone there is trying our bests to give top customer service, and help the people that come in.

For the person who mentioned the crap @$$ service, buddy, do you see the sales going on? Do you see how busy we are getting trying to work things out with customers, as well as lawyers and stuff? Every place you go to, has some bad service. But, instead of talking about the bad service on the net, how about you come down to the store, and tell the owners/managers and some of the staff what is wrong with the service.

As for what Nate said, I agree with it all. And then that dick had something to say about it. About no sympathy, and complaining about the live rock (IT WAS A CUSTOMERS!)

And then the other guy complaining about the sick fish and how he wanted to save them, but Dave said no. Guess why, CAUSE YOUR NOT A STAFF MEMBER! Since when have you walked into Big Al's and seen a customer trying to catch their own fish? Never!

You people need to get lives, have some sympathy for the owners and workers. Some of us are going to have a hard time finding jobs. One has been looking for a second job since October. One is pregnant. I don't know what Nate is going to do, because he probably needs to find a good paying job that will coinside with his school time as well. You guys do not know the whole story.

Working there, I can say this, a lot of you customers that come into Big Al's as well, are not to friendly with the staff, nor the cashiers (they are working just as hard as the staff, especially during sales like this. Look at the Boxing Day sale and how crazy they were working.)

But, I really wish who you people where, because then, if you came in and asked for help, I'd show you the door :D

Because the owners would rather scrape up as many last dollars as they can, at the risk of losing all the innocent animals.

Let me guess ... Those last $'s go toward staff's severances ... A due respect from beloved owners.

Am I right Nate?

For the person who mentioned the crap @$$ service, buddy, do you see the sales going on? Do you see how busy we are getting trying to work things out with customers, as well as lawyers and stuff? Every place you go to, has some bad service. But, instead of talking about the bad service on the net, how about you come down to the store, and tell the owners/managers and some of the staff what is wrong with the service.

From wat i've heard its not much of a sale? :eh: