New From Cow Town

thefishdude

Hey All,

New member from Calgary...

Brief Bio

Have kept various tropicals over the last 5 or so years. Started out with tetras in a small 5 gal tank. Over the last half decade I have purchased many increasingly sized aquariums, and recently I bought a 90 gal tank from a local shop here in the city. Currently my pride and joy are a breeding "pack" of massive red velvet swords. The "Duke", an especially large and brilliantly colored male rules the tank and keeps everyone in line. I started with this group of velvets about 6 months ago with 6 fish. These six swords have bred like rabbits to about 40 fish now. Thinking of doing a "show tank" with my 90. Keep it simple with a group of long fin tiger oscars, along with some loachs to clean up after them.

Looking to run a Fluval 404 on my 90... any idea where a cheap guy like me would find one!!! :thumbs:

Hey welcome,

You can find cheap stuff here in the buy sell people are always loking to sell stuff. OR post an add yourself saying all the stuff you want to buy. Loaches with oscars u must mean clown loaches eh? U could use kuhli loaches too. Good luck.

For the price of a 404 one could go to Golds and buy 2 AC 500's and a good circulation powerhead. Or a DIY wet/dry system. I guess it depends on how wet you want to get your sleeves as to whether you want DIY's but, don't get me wrong I think Fluvals are okay for somethings, Just not really Oscars, They do better with more mechanical filtration, once you see how much they waste you'll be glad you opted for more GPH and less biofiltration, Consistent waterchanges are a good key to keeping an oscar in clean water.

Anyways, welcome to our little nightmare as Alice would say.

Welcome to A.A; thefishdude. Great name :D

Cow town folk.... lol.... :lol::lol:

Refering to the KISS {a "show tank" with my 90. Keep it simple with a group of long fin tiger oscars, along with some loachs to clean up after them. }<, principle and Oscars.

I relate Oscars and Elephants_ as the same "output" machines. LOTS!!! :smilebig:

MPE - and in agreement with another poster; a Canister type filter "may" prove inadequete. { Canisters : Lots of work to keep clean.]. Oscars - Lots of output~ to challenge any filter system. :)

The benifits of an A.C. 500. great flow / turnover rate; 500 gallons per hour: AND ease of cleaning the media. A very important/pleasing maintance operation... :smilebig: :smilebig:

{ PLUS many reatil stores have the A.C. 500 ON SALE. suggested retail= $109.00 // sale for 1/2.$} Two for the price of one - Good price. check around.

Smokey

I did a photo shoot of a circus, for 10 days.. Trust me - Elephants_ food in ~~~waste out. but like Oscars __ You got-to-love-'em. B)

Go for it... and keep us updated on your expierences... :)

I would definately agree with the output on an AC 500... I picked one up second hand for 20 bones and put it on my 30 gal. It keeps the water VERY clean and does a much better job sucking up my sailfin pleco's mile long craps.

However, I was really hoping to get away from a "hang on tank" style filter; mostly for aesthetic purposes I guess. That and the canopy I was planning for would have to be cut to make way for this type of filter.

I currently do a bi-weekly, 25% water change because I do enjoy clear clean water in my tank just as much as my fisheys appreciate it. Would a cannister, along with my regimented change schedule do the job??? Why is a cannister so much harder to take care of??

:well:

• 2 weeks later...