Oscar Tank

thefishdude

What should I be looking to cover the bottom of an oscar tank with keeping in mind the tendency to dig and re-arrange the tank. Is sand a good option? I was hoping to do sand, but Im kinda worried about how much upkeep their is involved in using it. How do you keep from sucking sand up into the water intake on a filter and out of the water change bucket as well?? Would you do sand, small gravel, big gravel, or anything else????

I like sandbut if you do not have an external filtration such as a sump I would not suggest it. It basically cuts the life of your filter in half and is a constant pain to clean out.

Smaller fish and coarser sand works, however as an oscar will stir just about anything you put in there up I would definately reccomend gravel.

Medium sized to small is great for oscars as they will be more inclined to dig.

We found that the river washed stones in walmart that come in the mesh bags work great for oscars. Althought sometimes they do pick them up and throw them. You may want to use gravel if you want to breed them. The parents dig "pits" for the fry to rest in.

thefishdude - for what it's worth ; I would suggest going bare bottom.

Adding substrate increases the maintance. For the first while a BB tank will give you an idea as to the output of the oscars and allow you to keep the tak bottom clean.

Give the oscars some hiding spots, at first.

You can always add substrate later one.

Smokey

B)

The foams/ bio-media, in whatever filters you choose to run, are what the bacteria will colonize. This is why you choose a filter with as much bio capacity as possible.

Gravel has only limited external surface area for the bacteria to colonize. A Foam, the A/C style, has much more exposed area; internal and external.

Bacteria will colonize on any surface; glass, rocks, gravel, etc.... however, it is in the filters that the water is passed through the foam media. This allows the ammonia and nitrites to be "PRESENTED" to the bacteria. Even air powered foam filters can harbour more bio-bacteria. :smilebig:

There is an article in the DIY section on fishless cycling. And how to raise the bio-bacteria.

HTH

Smokey

B)

• 2 weeks later...