Come see my new Arowana!

wandj

Well, I went to Big Als a few days ago and I bought the "Blue" Arowana. It's a color varient of the Black Arowana. I am sure it's wild-caught as it is just over a foot long and was in a tank by itself. Reg price was $430 but with my ACE card and BA points, it cost $375.

I think it is gorgeous and I really like the finnage.

I know it was eating in the store, but it won't eat yet. Should I be concerned? How long does it take for them to get their appetite back?

He looks very healthy.

Here is a pic.

BlueAro.jpg

This is my first (and last) Arowana. (I hope). Does anyone have any advice? I have tried live Red Wigglers, Blackworms, food sticks and Mysis shrimp and it won't touch any of it yet.

Should I try crickets?

(Oh, and sorry the pics are not very good as I could only get part of him/her in focus in the shots)

I remember a big debate a while back that a blue is just a black, and eventually its colors will be the same. None the less an awesome fish though, and all blacks are wild caught.

Have you checked all the water parameters?

I have an RTG, when i first got it it was beaten up, stressed to the max and had been on a 2 week hunger strike.

I treated with triweekly water changes, pimafix/melafix, salt, increased temp and aeration and after 2 weeks of that it started eating (feeders at first and then crickets/mealworms and now its on a pellet exclusive diet, at least until it accepts other foods)

I remember a big debate a while back that a blue is just a black, and eventually its colors will be the same.

I heard that too.

As for eating, my 2.5 inch jardini didn't eat for about 5 days. I would put mysis and bloodworms in the tank. I also had a small scissor tail that I didn't want which he took pot shots at during the night until he killed and ate it 10 days later. Like Toirtis said I wouldn't be overly concerned for the first week. Try keeping the light off to help the guy get used to the tank. I'm pretty sure that Big Al's would have been feeding it mysis, so what you're doing should pay off soon.

Nice fish.

OOOOO isn't that a lovely fish!

I was in Big AL's the other day and remeber looking at him and saying "what a lucky person to have haim!"

And as for the mysis shrimp, I know that they feed their rays that cause when I was in there looking for adivice on feeding a ray that was picky (darn male!!) the suggested mysis. The one lady said that they are loaded in nutrients

Yeah..... He didn't like them :wacko:

I am sure he will start eating as soon as he calms down.

Have you tried cut up earth worms? In my experience no carnivour can resist earth worms..

Or crickets?

Thank you so much for the good word. The more I look at it, the more I really am getting attached. (I call it "it" cuz it's easier than typing "him/her" all the time)

And I am surprised no one has said I was ripped off or something like that since the fish was from BA and they have notoriously high prices. I am a bit like the old man on Jurassic Park; when I like something, my attitude is "spare no expense". This is a happy experience for me.

I am just crossing my fingers on it starting to eat. I have never seen an Aro with its mouth open. (This is my first one and have never really gazed at them long before).

Right now I have a large Red Wiggler clasped in a plastic tong and it is hanging near the surface of the water. It wiggles away, but it still ignores it.

Might seem weird, but I would like to train it to take food from these plastic tongs. Why? Well, once it is in the big tank, I would like to be able to serve it its meal without the other fish stealing all the food before it gets a chance. I have seen the staff at BA feed their Aros and the sharks in their shark-tank this way and it seems like a good idea. Not?

And I am surprised no one has said I was ripped off or something like that since the fish was from BA and they have notoriously high prices.

Its a bit pricey, but you got a lower than listed price, and if you are happy with what you got and what you paid, thats all that really matters....god knows I have blown more than a few bucks on things I decided I had to have. ;)

I'm also training my jardini to be hand fed. Kind of tough hand feeding mysis though. As for shrimp and clams meat he will swim near to my fingers but never actually touch the food. I have to drop it in the tank when he's a couple of inches away. Big improvement from when we first got him, he would swim to the far corner of the 10 gallon and kind of curl up into an "S" shape, as if ready to pounce. Let us know once "it" eats. He looked healthy in Big Als last week, so shoould easuly be able to go for a week or so without eating.

And I am surprised no one has said I was ripped off or something like that since the fish was from BA and they have notoriously high prices.

Just because you asked for it. Man did you get ripped off. -roll-

Seriously though a nice looking fish. Hope you get him eating and not dieting.

just a juv. coloration that isn't especially common, likely a geographical variant (Colombia??). Not sure how much coloration will be retained as an adult. If I recall correctly, that particular aro was 7-8" approx. so still pretty young. Nice pickup tho, wish I had a tank suitable to house an aro.

Yes, there is a raging debate about the black/blue thing. I guess only time will tell if it stays blue. However, there is a "salmon" Silver I was going to get. It is a Silver with pink fins. So maybe there is a "blue" Black.

It still won't eat.

I tried crickets and all that is happening is that the fish still won't eat and the damn things are escaping and now they're crawling around my house somewhere. Oh well, the cats will find them.