Flowerhorn Cichlid

FishBrain

I know they are classified as a hybrid between some pretty aggresive fish, but a friend of my wifes wants to give it to me because it has gotten a healthy appitite as of late and has decided to eat most of what it can fit in its mouth. I am willing to take it, especially after seeing some pictures and reading up on them.

They sound like one of the FEW Hybrids I would take.

Just wondering what others think about them and how they are to care for

TFL

I was considering one or a pair for my 180, but decided to get a single or a pair of eartheaters instead.

I think some of the flowerhorns are pretty beautiful, but I see others that look almost "mangled" so I'm a little apprehensive about getting that type. I don't know much about them, though.

-Hideo

I dunno...I think that most look freakish, and they are pretty pyschotic...but every fish needs a home somewhere.

Well...Guess that it fits me pretty good

-roll- -roll- -roll- -roll- -roll- -roll- -roll-

I like them.

They are very easy to care for and some can get very beautiful. I would not put one in less than a 108 for life however as trimac very frequently get over 12 inches and as this seems to be the predominant fish in most offered I would expect it to get at least 14 inches.

Their care is like any other large neotropical cichlid. Water needs to be wet and the filtration needs to be powerful along with large water changes weekly. Other than that they are hard to kill.

• 3 weeks later...

i was at pisces and they had a full grown one .....nice looking

FULL GROWN??? dont they get to 12" or so?

well he/she takes up the tank im guessing 8-10"???????? and they had a bunch of lil guys

I was also there yesterday and the fish in question was somewhere in the 12" to 14" size, could barely turn around in the tank in which it was housed.

I took a crappy phone pic, will post when I get home, if it turns out o.k.

It had lots of colour, the person I spoke to said that it was brought in as a trade, is apparently a very mean sucker, killing everything the owner had it in with.

Tom.