Most profitable fish to breed?

What's the most profitable fish to breed/sell?

I'm looking for something a little more challenging and interesting in fish keeping, and have decided to try my hand at breeding a specific fish, with intention to sell. Whatever fish I decide on, I would invest in a really fantastic pair, not just buy a couple and toss them in the water.

I'd be doing it on a small scale, in a 55 gallon tank.

What do you guys think? Not looking for fish that sell for 500$ that are very selectively sought after, just what has the potential to sell easily.

Was going to put this in the breeding forum, but I thought this was more general as I'm not looking for breeding tips of any kind.

Perhaps a rarer cichlid of some kind?

-Hideo

I was thinking mollies, I've always wanted to try my hand at creating some kind of new colour strain. Just don't know how easy it will be to find some particularly fantastic specimens due to how common they are. I was considering bettas, because I think some of the amazing quality ones out there would be a lot of fun. But, having 500 mason jars to tend to seems like way too much work. Not that I mind, but my wife seems to think that it'll take up too much of my time.

I have seen some fantastic guppies before, that I've never seen in pet stores before, I was thinking doing that.

-Hideo

I hear purple apple snails are insanely profitable.

Haha, really? I guess I'll find out, my 4 clutches of eggs should be hatched in about a week and a half, hopefully I'll have purple ones I can try to sell to a LFS. I'm not anxious to sell them to Pisces, as when I bought mine they were in pretty bad shape.

-Hideo

Take most of the water out of one of your basement tanks and grow dope till the Police come to your house. You just show the Cops the tanks you have in your livingroom and offer to show them more, but they say,"well that explains the power usage,"and leave. After that, it's all good.

I totally agree...BN plecos are where it is at. Easy to breed, easy to raise, always tons of demand for them. Plus the price per fish you'd be selling them for is much more than angels, especially mollies.

True...perhaps albino BNs, plus a couple of interesting angel colours....you could see a good $5000 or so per year with just 8 producing pairs of each, between sales to shops and auctions.

Hrmmm, I do love the look of BN plecos. I think I am sold on that... Maybe a pair of standard looking ones and a pair of albinos... Think 55 gallon long is enough space for 2 breeding pairs if I make caves on opposite ends? I'd like to do 2 pairs of BN plecos to start, and a small high quality guppy or platy collection. I'd like to do mollies as well, but I think having the salt will probably be negative for the BN plecos. Perhaps in another tank if I see some success in the 55.

I may also consider angelfish, though I never really liked them much, as I have a 33 gallon hex I could use for a single breeding pair with a couple dither fish.

Now to find a good source of really great BN's and guppies!

-Hideo

What size would you reccomend for guppy and BN growout tanks?

-Hideo

Actually, I think I'll nix the guppies since I won't do it all in the 55. What I think I'll do is go the molly route, and start off with a single pair or trio in one tank, and one grow out tank. Than I'll do the same for the BN's.

-Hideo

What size would you reccomend for guppy and BN growout tanks?

-Hideo

Actually, I think I'll nix the guppies since I won't do it all in the 55. What I think I'll do is go the molly route, and start off with a single pair or trio in one tank, and one grow out tank. Than I'll do the same for the BN's.

-Hideo

20s or 25s make good grow-out tanks, I find.