Fluval FX5

Kevin

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My brother recently picked one up for a 180g tank, and it was much easier to set up than the old fluval 04 series, and is so far doing a great job. I had heard nothing but good things about them, you can probably find some reviews on some European sites, as they have been out longer in Europe

I have purposefully been talking online with about 25 people that bought FX5s from the first ones to be available for sale....all have been running them ever since on a variety of tank sizes, fish types and bioloads, and all are very happy with their purchases...not a single complaint yet on any aspect of filtration, reliability, ease of maintenance, etc.

I have seen them for under $300 here in the good ol' frozen north. Pretty good deal if you've got a tank that you'd run two canisters on, as it'll save space/plumbing/cost in the long run.

Thank you all for the great feedback.

I read alot about the FX5s and only saw one bad review. So I went down to Gold's and picked one up. Denis is selling them for $279.99 (with GST it came to $300) even. I talked to a manager at Pets and Ponds last weekend because I wanted to know why it was not on their website, Hagen is not allowing online sales of the product at all. He laughed when I told him how much Denis was selling them for because he did not know if he could buy them at that price. So kudos to Golds for keeping aquariums inexpensive.

Before I bought it, I took it apart to see how it would work. I am very impressed, all of the pieces look quite thick and sturdy. What really impressed me was that they have a system that prevents bypass entirely and the water is forced through the biological media before it get to the mechanical filtration. As a result I believe the flow rates will stay higher than in my eheim classics.

I will probably not set it up for a month, but I will let you all know how it fares. As it looks now, this may be a viable uber filtration alternative to the sump.

Kevin

Hagen is not allowing online sales of the product at all.

Sure they are...go ahead, call the Edmonton office...a number of places are already selling them online.

He laughed when I told him how much Denis was selling them for because he did not know if he could buy them at that price. So kudos to Golds for keeping aquariums inexpensive.

Yes, but that is because Dennis sells at, or just barely above cost....something 99.99% of retailers cannot afford to do.

I have seen them at several Edmonton retailers for $279... so while I am certainly not disputing Denis DOES keep prices as low as possible... it looks like other retailers may just be going above and beyond the reasonable mark-up levels and gouging us nice consumers.

Either way, I can pretty much promise I'll hook one up the insteant I have a tank over 100 gallons... they are SO SWEET!

I have seen them at several Edmonton retailers for $279... so while I am certainly not disputing Denis DOES keep prices as low as possible... it looks like other retailers may just be going above and beyond the reasonable mark-up levels and gouging us nice consumers.

Depends on what you consider reasonable mark-up...Hagen's MSRP on them is $399.99, and the industry standard mark-up on dry-goods is 100%.

Depends on what you consider reasonable mark-up...Hagen's MSRP on them is $399.99, and the industry standard mark-up on dry-goods is 100%.

So does that mean that the retailers are buying at $200? If so, their gross margin at a sell price of $280 is $80 or a gross margin percentage of 20.3%. With a margin that low one would want to turn them fairly quickly and not have a whole pile in invetory! I think that margin is too small relative to the fixed operations costs of a retailer. The internet sellers don't have any where near the overhead of a LFS. Large concern, certainly for the independents!

Thank you all for the great feedback.

So I went down to Gold's and picked one up. Denis is selling them for $279.99 (with GST it came to $300) even.

Wait, wha? GST? They don't charge GST.

-Hideo