House plant in tank

Mighty Prawn

I've heard of people using some kind of house plant in their tank. Well, not IN their tank, but the roots in the tank. From what I have heard it sucks up the nitrates like crazy. Having 3 oscars whose favourite thing in the world to do is pull my plants out of the substrate, out of pots and such so they float, it appeals to me. I was going to just put plants in my sump, but they leave the floating stuff alone so I'd like to try it.

Is this the plant you always see in "betta" vases? I understand those plants are better off in a pot, and are just "barely" surviving in those vases.

I'm perfectly fine having the plants in my sump to help with eating up the nitrates and such, but seems like a waste to spend money on plants (which are pricey). In a perfect world my O's would just leave them alone so I could have a proper planted 180. I can't imagine how incredible a big tank like that would look heavily planted.

Anyways, any tips on what plant this might be I've heard of, and how to set it up properly?

-Hideo

Pothos(philodendron i believe) is used to suck up nitrates in fish tanks. It works great, I used to have some in my tanks. It works best if grown with its leaves outside of the water but i've had it submerged for months and it would grow pretty good even underwater.

I was hoping to sort of have the plant in a pot on the tank lid, with a hole in the pot that has the roots dangling down into the water. So everything but roots out of the water.

I know very little about plants that are not bamboo, is it okay not to have the roots in soil, or will the plant always be semi-"shocked"?

-Hideo

Again, pothos. I've used them successfully in tanks with just the roots in the water, everything else out. Best if the tank is in a bright spot, as the leaves tend to be above your lights and canopy.....

Thanks guys, that link was also super helpful, this is definately something I am going to do. Now just gotta find a place to buy some of these things ;-)

-Hideo

This is where the ACs are fantastic! I have one on my grow-out tank, with a few different terrestrial plants in it. Peace Lillies, English Ivy, Pothos. I use this method to start rooting for all clippings on my house plants. Works great!

Be careful not to leave a philodendron cutting in the water indefinitely; eventually you are going to have to pot it or the roots will rot and/or die.

Wally's world will have philodendrons; they're a garden section staple. Or you can come and raid my house lol.

Be careful not to leave a philodendron cutting in the water indefinitely; eventually you are going to have to pot it or the roots will rot and/or die.

Actually I have a cutting that is just in water that is going on 4 years. Its not in my aquarium though, just in a glass vase. Its roots are still good and i've never had any die off.

But it is something you should always be aware of as a possibility.

Yes, it's a good thing to remember that house plant are terrestrial - or bog plants at best. Their leaves and stem need air. And, if the roots are submerged, they'll do much better in a current than stagnant water.

Generally speaking most houseplants do best with soil media which is 30% (they do not get this with compacted soil or in a bowl of water.

Of course the exception is "marginals" which live in "swamp" type situations where the roots are in water and the "tops" are above the waterline. (This group includes bullrushes). You can get some of these types of plants from the local garden centre. I have also seen some types of bamboo grown this way (check out your local Chinatown - this seems to be an oriental tradition).

I experimented with spider plants and a few others being completely underwater and generally speaking they survived between a few days and months. None thrived under these conditions.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I have pothos in all of my tanks, and all of the deep bodies of water in my lizard cages, as well as my betta bowls. If you have a plant, just cut off a string of it, and put the end in the water. I've thrown whole strands into the tank and they've done really well.