Above ground pond...

Devon

I really want to make a pond in my backyard, but I can't use up any of the grass area because we have so many dogs, and not a lot of grass. It will have to be built on the cement. I have been researching above ground ponds, and I want to make the cheapest, but effecient DIY pond possible. I don't care if it's looks amazing, I just want it to hold fish!

My rough (very rough, I have never done this before) is to use railroad ties to make a 8'x4' box. I don't know how I would hold them together, any suggestions? Especially to support the corners? Then I would, I think, line the walls with plywood, then some sort of liner, like carpet liner...? Then, I would line the entire box with a heavy duty rubber pond liner. How would I attach the liner to the railroad ties?

I want it to be about 3 feet deep, maybe 3.5. How many gallons would this be? What would be the best, cheapest way to filter a pond this size?

Thanks, in advance, for the help!

I would stay away from the railroad ties. They are soaked in creosote (sp?) and will ruin whatever you use to cut them. They also leach a toxic compound into the nearby soil.

If you are on the cheap I would by some treated 4" X 6"s (sold at most lumber stores) with sand and a rubber liner. You may be able to get the liner and some slate to put around the top relatively inexpensively at a landscape supply store

You probably want to put a "shelf" in your pond so you will be able to put "marginals" (plants which the roots sit in water and the "tops" grow above the surface - like bullrushes) in your pond to help the fish hide from predators

Here is a site to figure out how many gallons your pond (or tank) has http://www.metric-conversions.org/volume/c...-to-gallons.htm

Dave

Go talk to Henry at Natures corner. In addition to the store, he runs a professional pond building and maintenance business and he would be more than happy to talk your ear off about your little project. He can also recommend a number of DIY pond kits. Also... he runs pond and water garden seminars starting April 22: http://www.natures.citymax.com/.

I would stay away from the railroad ties

Use the garden type sold in most garden supply places if you go this route.

Yeah, those are what I was planning to use...and I would bring the fish inside during the winter regaurdless, stick them all in a few tubs and kiddie pools, I don't mind. Has anybody tried a similar project?

Thanks for all of the comments guys, I knew this was the right place to ask for help. :bow:

Check out the city regulations first. I think the limit is 18 inches deep after which you need a fence (as in for a swimming pool). Henry at D.A.D.'s can give you all the info.

Heh, really? Why? Do most people follow this rule? I've seen a lot of ponds deeper then 18 inches without fencing. Would 18 inches be deep enough though?

If you build it above ground, unless you heat it, it will freeze solid. That being said, and that you plan to house your fish over winter, 18 inches is enough, but under certain conditions. If it will be in direct sun for most of the day you will run the risk of overheating the water and providing a haven for green water algae. You can either shade the pond during the hottest part of the day or put in lots of floating plants such as water lettuce or water hyacinth to shade the water and use up nutrients. Unless you have a cheap source or lots of money, the cost of pre grown water lilies would be prohibative, and the water lily kit in the box would not grow fast enough. Let us know how it works out.

Heh, really? Why? Do most people follow this rule? I've seen a lot of ponds deeper then 18 inches without fencing. Would 18 inches be deep enough though?

Not only do you require a fence, but a latching gate. This is to help prevent accidental drownings of small children (which do happen ever year in ponds and swimming pools in unrestricted yards)...and to protect you against some multi-million dollar wrongful death suit (or criminal negligence charge) should something like that occur.

Not only do you require a fence, but a latching gate. This is to help prevent accidental drownings of small children (which do happen ever year in ponds and swimming pools in unrestricted yards)...and to protect you against some multi-million dollar wrongful death suit (or criminal negligence charge) should something like that occur.

Our yard is fenced and protected by two viscious (not!) dogs, I'd be wondering what a little kid was doing in our yard in the first place. I really don't think we've ever had a kid back there, haha, I try to distance myself from people under 12 years old. I suck with kids. :P

Our yard is fenced and protected by two viscious (not!) dogs, I'd be wondering what a little kid was doing in our yard in the first place.

They actually have fence type and height requirements, and some specific gate requirements.

My first pond (and still existing it is!)...is made of landscape ties....

It is held together by drilling holes and using the 6-7" nails to hold the ties in place.

Then it was lined with heavy felt pond liner and then the thick rubber pond liner.To top it...I used treated 2X6 around the top to form a lip and sitting place.(I didnt know at the time it was bad). The same pond has been running up to 16 years now...and its still perfect. I bring all fish in in winter and drain it about half way. I will see if I can find some pics here of it somewhere.

pond7.jpg

pond6.jpg