Putting Multiple Spawns In a 10 Gallon?

wchfsu

I'm sitting here trying to figure out if I should (or actually can) put new babies in my 10 gallon fry tank. Right now I've got 9 Tropheops macrothalmus about as long as the width of your fingernail (some smaller) which are about 3 weeks old. Right now I have 3 more spawns on the way and I'm just curious if the little tropheops will attack the poop out of the new fry? I've got Sunshine Peacocks, Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos, and Neolamprologus leleupi on the way in the next couple days. Should I set up another tank or will they all be fine in the same one? :bow:

I"ve had mixed success with combining different size fry.

Just recently i put some 1 week old yellow lab fry in with some 1" acei fry and didn't have any problems. I put a lot of fake plants for the tiny fry to hide in though.

But beofre i've tried mixing Rusty fry with some red peacock fry and that didnt' work.

I'd say that if all the fry are still small(the bigger ones can't eat the smaller ones) you should be ok. I'd add a bunch of cover(fake plants decorations) to help the smaller ones have somewhere to hide. You can always put a divider in the tank to keep them seperate. I've done this also with good success. Then once they are all a bit bigger you can remove the divider.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Guys,

It is definitely asking for trouble combining different size fry in the same tank

Yeah the lelupi fry didn't pan out so well in that tank, the Tropheops fry loved them though lol So now there's Tropheops macrophthalmus , Copadichromis borleyi (Kadango), Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos , Aulonocara sp. "Stuartgranti Maleri", and some other i can't remember the name. All are doin fine now, But yeah if you ever are thinking of moving lelupi fry to another tank, wait about 2 months, because they are soooo small for the first while.

I was goign to say, those lelupi will be tough to keep, as they're so much smaller than the mouthbrooding fry.

Live and learn, eh!

• 2 months later...

I use a ten gallon tank as my "nursery" or fry tank. I have currently in there three sets of spawns both balloon mollies, and platies. To make sure that all are getting food I crush finely a mixture of livebearer fish food, and fry food...and I tend to over feed just to make sure that the wee ones get fed as well. I don't worry about excess fish food in the water because I also have some of my snails in there....a couple of which are Melody's snails. All the fry seem to do well and I have never noticed any deaths...so it works.