Help - Painting Background

Blue Ram

I would like to paint the back of my new 50 gal instead of using a printed background. Need some advice on do's and don't's and any negative impact of painting versus using a background. What kind of paint is best to use, how to apply ie. brush, roller, spray. Has anyone had any experience using any of the faux finish paints you can buy? Any comments and/or advice greatly appreciated.

If you can spray it, I would recommend Krylon Fusion Camo Paint.

http://www.cabelas.com/products/Cpod0028665.jsp

Bonds well, and leaves a rather non reflective surface when dry.

2-3 light coats should do the trick.

I was forced to paint mine indoors, so I used Apple Barrel acrylic paint & applied with a roller. (2 coats)

http://www.plaidonline.com/apAB.asp then sealed with Delta Ceramcoat Gloss (exterior) varnish. (both products can be found at most hobby stores)

This was the finished product:

tank125hhh.jpg

I'm personally partial to acrylic paint, as I hate spray paint. I've never once used a can of spray paint without getting some of the paint on my fingers, hand, or clothes. No matter how careful I am.

I'd say more, but Neil pretty much covered the 2 best options. You may also want to consider buying a piece of plastic "Cardboard" you can get at Home Depot, Staples, printshops etc. and get it in black, or just paint it black. That way your glass isn't permanently black.

Also if painting with acrylic, you can use a brush to get some textures if you want to. I did a gradient from black to grey bottom to top that looked pretty awesome for a guy. I've done a few dark blue to royal blue gradients as well that look pretty good.

-Hideo

Same effect with stick on black background from LFS. This is however no permanent. Paint is permanent.

Cheers;

Take it from someone who's had both over the years, there's simply no comparison between a black glossy background like the ones sold at the LFS, and a painted black background. As Hideo mentioned, I've also seen some extremely nice gradient painted backgrounds. Very natural & very striking if done properly.

I sprayed my 75 last fall, and it was extremely easy to do. 30 minutes from taping to finish. Don't worry about drips if you go too heavy, as the side that is seen will be against the flat glass, and they won't show.

As another note on the gradients as Neil said, they can be really nice when done right. I'd definately advise you practice on cardboard or something you don't mind ruining a million times. It's easy to do the wrong way, but it's pretty tough to do the right way. If you have an airbrush, it's easier. Not for me though, anytime I have something that sprays, it always ends up in my eyes no matter how airtight my safety goggles are.

-Hideo

Ill stick in a artists opipion and say arclyic paints would be best. Water colours wont last and oils will cause to mauch problems. Ive used its on glass before, and holds up pretty good against wear and tare unless something like a clamp has a sharp edge rubbing against it. Plus you can paint on a designed background and if you want to change how it looks wash hot water over it (easiest to be done outside) and it peels right off.

• 2 weeks later...
I am going to be experimenting with window tint this week... I'll let you know how it works out.

Hey Tanker,

How did your experiment work out?

I have used "Limo Black" window tint and really liked the look but, it can be a royal pain to work with. Trapped air bubbles will totally ruin the appearance.

DONT-do it indoors!!

I myself am getting ready to try an acrylic mirror on the back, my neighbour works with the stuff and gave me a couple of sheets to try. I'm thinking it will look awesome as it should double the depth look in the tank.