Fish with lock jaw??

DAlberta

HI all,

We have a breeding pair of pink convicts and all seemed well until last night. It looks like the female has lock jaw...her mouth is "stuck" for lack of a better word, in a wide open position. She seems unable to eat or do much of anything. I can see right into her mouth and there is nothing in there...I had thought maybe she was moving pebbles and got one stuck but nope her mouth is empty!

Anybody have any idea what this is ? How to treat this? Water parameters are good.

Tammy&Dave :bang1:

I've had this occasionally happen to mouthbroding cichlids over the years, and remember reading that sometimes it can be caused by a small bone in their mouth becoming dislodged and forcing the mouth to remain in the fully open position. Unfortunately none of these fish could ever recover to a normal position and all eventually expired. I think you'd have to have a pretty good working knowledge of the bone structure of the particular species and a pretty steady hsnd to have any chance of remedying this particular situation. Hopefully with your cichlids being non-mouthbrooders, that this is not the case.

Mathew!!! I can't freeze her! OMG! You know better...lol. Actually she is looking a bit better...she actually ate tonight and her mouth is functioning a bit better..not perfect yet, but better. Sorry Mathew...no fish food for you -01-

Tammy

Edited by DAlberta