Now what do I do?

Tanker

I know, I know... 'everyone' says that Red Belly Piranhas should not be kept with anything else, but then there are just as many stories of them living in peace (relatively) with other fish... What's your take on this plan?

I am going to take a 48 gallon tank, and fill it with rock and driftwood, subdue the lighting (no more than 30W, total) and try my recently acquired pair of RBPs with something else. All that tank for two fish seems like a waste of real estate and I like to play with mixes and see what happens. I have always had a thing for snakeheads, but as I like to mop my floors only when I want to, would like to keep it smaller... so no tank busters.

I am thinking of a couple of dwarf snakeheads (max 8") would go well in there. The piranhas are at 3-4" right now, and if I was to put say 4 snakeheads in there introduced at the same time as the piranhas would it work?

Anyone have any real experience with a combo like this? or even experience with similar? layout suggestions (besides the obvious "LOTS of hiding places/territory markers") that may help to achieve relative peace? I know there will be some aggression between the inhabitants, but I'd like something at the bottom of the tank and these should be able to handle themselves.

Will the snakehead's drab colours (compared to a comet), desire to be sheltered and relative daytime inactivity keep it safe from the piranha's attentions? I do NOT plan on letting the RBP's get 'hungry' so with a ready and stable supply of food from 'above' will they still look 'below'? or will they mess with the snakeheads no matter what, 'just because they are there'?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Piranah Man keeps a lot of smaller fish w. his Monster! He just ignores them b/c they're just "too small"....

Your plan could work - the only thing I'd worry about is the growth rates of your fish. If they all grow at the same rate, you could be OK. However if either the RBs or SHs grow faster than the other, one species will end up as a snack.

Once they get bigger, your RBs could be housed with tetras, etc.

Never kept RBP's but I do have SH's

Depends on what the snakeheads are eating now, if they eat live food I would put money on the SH's

If they get hungry there isn't very much that they won't eat. The Channa Bleheri (Rainbow) are not as aggressive as others but if they eat live food at the store those RBP might become food for them. Mine eat NLS and a frozen mixture that I make, and they dont bother with live fish anymore.

I also find that they do NOT hide during the day unless you consider sitting on or in the plants hiding. There is one that sits under a rock lots but still makes sure he comes out if there is movement. He LOVES to eat

Hmmm... interesting.

BA's has a couple dwarf snakeheads in right now, and they look to be in pretty good shape so I may try them, if they are still there once I get the tank finished and ready for occupants.

The RBPs are all but ignoring the current feeders in the tank with them... but they do like their mysis!

You should call Dennis at Golds

I would put money down that his are nicer, and probably cheaper too.

I think they are $39.99

and a good size

I think I have a pick of mine in my gallery

I'll be setting this tank up in the next few days so by the end of the week, next week I should have either a really cool tank, or half a fish left.

Assuming that when I actually have a tank to put them in, the snakeheads are still here... of course.

I'm picking up the tank, rocks and wood tomorrow, and setting up the new P tank... I'll be stopping by the store to see if they are still there and if so will grab a snap for you. Labeled as "Dwarf Snakehead" and they look like the DS's on the web I have found while researching them.

Possibility I may have misread the price, or my mind swapped the price with something else I saw there...

I'll let you know!

I just got in from my rounds, and the fish are $19.99... and look an AWEFUL LOT like the Rainbow Snakehead they have in the tank below... this is a picture of the 'dwarf' which is about 4" long.. Yes it's a terrible pic, but it's dark in that tank, and the darn things wouldn't hold still.

post-333-1148859478_thumb.jpg

Well...from what I can see I would lean to Gachua, BUT.

I need to ask, How much Orangeish colour is on the fishes tail?

What about the Dorsal, if you see in my pics they have diagnal lines

Here is a pic of my Rainbow. This is when he was new

Carp I cant post another picture because I have posted to many...AND I cant remove the pictures from the buy and sell because it is now in the ARCHIVES ....gggrrrrrrr

Check my Gallery Album

Edited by Canadbis

Damn.... that IS hot!

More like this:

http://species.fishindex.com/photo_1946cha...ad_catfish.html

Infact... exactly like that.

In talking to a few people, they feel the snakehead will eventually be pwned by the RBPs... shame, 'cause it would be a kickass tank. Dunno if I want to feed my P's $40 in fish in one sitting, finding out the hard way. Although, breeding the snakeheads would be about the coolest thing I can think of... so maybe I will try it while the P's are still 'young' and milder... and move the snakeheads out once signs of aggression start (ie. first missing fish :P )