What type of heater....

thefishdude

What type of heater would those with opinions out there recommend, or which ones should I definately stay away from? I will be running a 90 gal here eventually and I was thinking maybe 2 x 200 watt adjustables. Any preferred brands out there.

Right now I'm just running a cheapy adjustable in my 30 gal, and it seems to do really well. It keeps the water at exactly what I set it at, and so far (knock on wood) its lasted me about 6mo. I do keep a close eye on the water temp in my tanks as I've heard alot of horror stories that end up with boiled fishes.

:boom:

MPE -

1 - Thick glass tube

2 - Good electronics

3 - 100% submergable.

Personally;

Home - Ebo Jager, 250 watt.

Shop - Tronic,

A 90 gallon tank: good idea to run two heaters, in case one stops operation. [ unplugged chord, heater failure].

Tronic: shop tanks - each 20g tank [ 40 g. divided ] has a 50 watt Tronic in each side. They maintane the temp. accurately. After 18 months only 1 out of 22 heaters has failed. That was last night [ Sat.]. I have not yet disected the heater to determine why[??].

Easy to adjust; turn knob on top with readable numbers. Thick glass tube.

Shop heater get a lot of physical abuse, [ cleaning the tanks, I knock them around alot.].

Home, personal fish room -

Ebo Jager: my personal favorite. I have been using E.J.'s for over a decade. 250 watt. Adusted, whether. - in a 120 gallon or transfered to a 10 gallon they maintane the same temperature. Great electronics. Easyy to adjust, New Models have a positive turn knob with easy to read numbers. Very thick glass tube. Auto - off if out of water. [ as if I every drain the tank lower than the heater is sitting at.].

Thermo Model heaters - thin glass, easy to break. Have had failures with them. I do not use them any more. [ if it is in the garbage can ... not good].

There has been plenty of public (forum) debates [ :guns: :pff: :boxer: :chair: ] over heaters. Ebo Jagers are always the ones every other type is compared to.

My oldest E.J. is 9 years. Still works great.

My newest; 12 brand new ones waiting to be installed.

Smokey

One more item you may be interested in.

A electonic digital thermometer. Inexpensive; and at a glance you can see exactly what the water temp. is. :wub:

All my home tanks have them. When I do a walk-by, my eye sees the numbers and I know it is what I want. I get excited if the temp drops from 87.4F to 86.9F. Hmmm close the window.......

The shop tanks have the stick-on temp. thermometers. Hard to read, I never pay attention to them. I use my fingers to see if the temp is o.k. first!!!!

The heater that failed - I did not realize it had failed, until I did a w/c. this morning ohhhh cool water!!! No wonder the fish were pi#$e%.! :grr:

HTH

Smokey

Cool.... that helps me. I was also going to ask whether or not you would suggest getting a heater gaurd. I'm going to be raising oscars and I've heard they have a tendancy to get nasty with heaters.

Good call on the digital thermometer as well. I will be picking one up next payday. Maybe one of the ones with an adjustable temp alarm????

:D

HomeHardware has digital thermo. for $9.00. Simple units...C. OR F. and a long sensor chord. Also a built in light, so you can read them in a dark/ dim room.

A heater gaurd is almost esentual with (big) fish.

- prevents damage to the heater. so it does not crack!

- prevents damage to the tank. so it does not get cracked!!

- prevents damage to the fish. so they can not get caught between the heater and the tank glass!!!

I let the heaters "HANG LOOSE". or secured so a fish cannot get trapped in between them and the tank

Fish seem to sense the electical field a heater produces.

Smokey

B)

I use Titanium heaters in my 165g. They are by far the easiest to set w/ excelent accuracy, and never break. ---> (They are Dovii proof)

It is usualy the light that the fish will attack, but titaniums have the light on the external control box, Not on the heater itself.

If you want a glass heater then i would choose a Ebo.

There you go :: 2 votes for the EBO's.

Expensive; not really! you only have to buy one.. :wub: forever!!

Titanium heaters; sorry, I can not comment, I have not used them personally. However; Those that have: give excellant reviews - :wub::wub: [ persons from many sites]. and our own Mr. J-ROC.

I do have one 100% STAINLESS STEEL heater. 1000 Watts. No controls_ just on or off! And I have to be there to shut it OFF. :smokey: Indestructabile, yes; B)

NOT FOR THE AVERAGE HOBBIEST!

In mpo/E, it is based on what an individual can afford. OR afford to loose_ if the inexpensive heater fails. ( this may not necessary have anything to do with the actuall price tag of the heater).

As everyone is aware ... those that cannot, compare them selves to those that can.

and say they are as "good" [ ?? ] :baby:

Smokey

B)

I would agree with the Ebo Jager, dont think I will ever buy another brand of heater

1 thing... stay away from the Guardian (Metal) heaters... supposed to be good and unbreakable, tube never breaks... but they LOVE to cook fish

Edited by Madness

Yes, the tronic guards will fit the E-Bo's.

Here is a hint: place a small air stone close the heater. The current, the airstone creates, will ensure a more constant water temperature. Circulating the water, preventing "Cold Spots" in the tank.

Smokey

B)

• 4 weeks later...

Ebo's are my first pic and MarineLand Visitherms are a close second. I have been monkeying around with titanium heaters with a remote controller for the past 2 years and the only problem is the cost. For larger aquarium (150gal+) set-ups I would highly recommend spending the $$$ on Ti heaters and controller.

JM2C