180 Gallon on Wheels

Mighty Prawn

So, my Dad thought we should put wheels on my metal frame for my 180 gallon, so we can move it easily if the need arises. I don't know what kind of wheels he was thinking, but I thought it might be a bad idea. I thought there's no way the wheels could support the weight of the tank, which will easily surpass 2000 lbs with rock, water, 55 gallon sump etc.

Say we built a bed out of wood, and put a LOT of wheels on it to distribute the weight amongst many wheels. Would it be dangerous to even move the tank at all like this? I thought the water sloshing around while wheeling it somewhere would cause stress on the seams of the tank itself.

What do you guys think? It would certainly be handy to be able to move the tank if need be. But once it's full, it's pretty much there forever.

-Hideo

I would suggest that you consult an engineer... I have a few ideas how this might work... but how do you level/shim somehting that rolls?

Generally, for the layperson, this has bad idea written ALL over it.

I agree....I can see this going bad very quickly....even with 10-16 castors each 200lb+ capable, I would be concerned about a failure in either a wheel or a connection, and moving a full 180 would be very tricky and slow at best, as tanks are not constructed to withstand the rigors of being moved full.

I agree....I can see this going bad very quickly....even with 10-16 castors each 200lb+ capable, I would be concerned about a failure in either a wheel or a connection, and moving a full 180 would be very tricky and slow at best, as tanks are not constructed to withstand the rigors of being moved full.

Although, if you ever did have to move it, you could drain 70-80% of the water, and just call it a large WC after the tank is moved.

Yeah I can't imagine pushing around an 1800 pound + top tank heavy tank, you may get it started but it would be fun trying to stop it and once the wall stops it the following tsunami wouldn't be fun either. If you wanna see what it's like go outside and push a civic around probably the same weight :D

Is the idea to put it on wheels so you can empty it and move the tank easily, but the concern is if the wheels could take the weight while sitting there? That's what I'm gathering. An engineer I am not, in fact I'm mechanically challenged entirely...lol...but it sure would be nice if it was possible. I keep eyeing a microwave stand on wheels as a possible 20G spot, but even that makes me nervous. I've never been much for 'there's only one way to find out' scenarios... big chicken :blush: .

I keep eyeing a microwave stand on wheels as a possible 20G spot, but even that makes me nervous. I've never been much for 'there's only one way to find out' scenarios... big chicken

I had a stand with wheels that I used for my 15g. Never had a problem with it and we used it for more then 10years. It was an old TV stand. I think a small tank isn't as much of a problem as a big tank would be.

I would build a stand with casters that could be inserted into the bottom once the tank was empty, and removed once it was in its new location.

Would not be pretty if the wheels on one side only were to break. :boom: Would make a huge mess in a very short time. Plus what type of floor would it be on? Carpet would allow it to sink in rendering it pretty tough to get rolling.