SA for 55

Cap'n

For companions, how about Anostomus anostomus, a pencil shaped characin that does like vegetation, but I have found that they do little damage when there is algae in the tank. Anostomus get up to 6" to 8" in length and are a schooling fish so keep at least four. They are a fairly benign member of the tank that hold their own and rarely are aggresive themselves barring the odd fin nip which they seem to do omongst themselves more so. Care must be taken that they are getting food if they are to be kept with more gregarious species. You also need to make sure there are lots of hiding spots for this species. Leoporinus is another head stander that is an interesting member of the headstander family. Pretty well the same requirements as Anostomus, but are a little more aggresive and a little harder on the plants. They have small mouths that can only nip.

Or Acanathodoras spinosissimus (talking catfish), they getup to around 6", they can create a croaking sound from a modified air bladder. They do have a painful sting from their spines, so handle with care and also, being a catfish, they will eat anything they can stuff in their mouths, so no little fish, except maybe some feeders once in a while. If nn on the feeders, do not worry, they will take just about anything. They do like to burrow lightly.

A Synodontis angelicus is a rare and I am not sure how expensive addition that is worth while to save up for. It is a beautiful cat that is balck with white polkadots and huge eyes that are tres cool. Start looking.

Pretty well any plecostomus species, barring size, could be considered.

I also want to add that the more timid specemins should be added first followed by more aggresive, territorial species. This forces the aggresive and territorial species to carve out a territory in a part of the tank as opposed to having the whole tank as it's territory.

Oops, forgot, this is south american. Thanks for remiding me.

The hatchet fish would probably jump too much due to the active members that would be in the tank and They really don't get that big and if memory serves me correctly, Cap'n was looking for large specimens.

Edited by Ichthyosporidium

I remebered another choice. Bunacephalus kneri, The Banjo catfish. Banjos spend the day buried in the sand. They get upto 5 to 6" in aquaria. This is a real odd looking species of fish and is a treat to see as it is somewhat reclusive. It is an unusually tame fish which I have handled, underwater of course, with no problems. Do use caution as Banjo cats have spines like any other cat.

and if memory serves me correctly, Cap'n was looking for large specimens.

Not really, just big enough that an adult severum won't eat it. Have to remember this is only a 55gal.

I'm actually about to give up on finding a school of fish that fit the bill and just go with a couple individuals, maybe a headstander, or a firemouth. (Any other suggestions definitely appreciated). Combined with a good size shoal of bronze cories should make an interesting enough tank.

Here's what I have w. my 3 sevrums (4", 2x 5"+) in a 55gal:

6 Bleeding Heart Tetras

6 Congo Tetras

5 Rummy Nose Tetras

6 Cory. sterbai

2 Cory. panda

4 Pelvicachromis tenaius "Green River"

2 BN Plecos

At least 1 HUGE Amano Shrimp - maybe 2 or 3

Here's what I have w. my 3 sevrums (4", 2x 5"+) in a 55gal:

6 Bleeding Heart Tetras

6 Congo Tetras

5 Rummy Nose Tetras

6 Cory. sterbai

2 Cory. panda

4 Pelvicachromis tenaius "Green River"

2 BN Plecos

At least 1 HUGE Amano Shrimp - maybe 2 or 3

Have you had any problems with the severum trying to eat any of the tetras? I would be happy with a school of any of the varieties you have listed.

No problems at all. I'd say the safest are the Bleeding Hearts - they're more of a diamond shape, so won't go down very easy. I find that Sevrums aren't too preditory on fish. I was actually VERY surprised to see one of my Amano shrimp yesterday - figured the Sevs would have munched them down right away.