Green Water - Hopeless

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone,

Its been a while since I last posted. A bit has changed since then.

I have horrible green water in my 33G cichlid tank and I'm just about ready to give up. Its been this way for about a month now and NOTHING works.

1) I tried "Clear Fast" from Golds - put in recommended amount, waited a day, did 50% change, dosed it again, did 50% change, nothing - it cleared a bit but came back

2) I tried it again, but this time dumped out 80-90% of the water each time and cleaned the filter carefully. Almost worked. But it came back again.

3) Now, I have a UV sterilizer, its been running for 24 hours and not the slighest change. I will attempt to put in Clear Fast, run the sterilizer and dump out water at 80%. I am a bit reluctant because I'm afraid that won't work either.

This all started when one night we had a brilliant idea of removing some algae from rocks. We used the tank water and scrubbed it off with a clear scrubbie. That must have upset the balance.

The tank is not in direct sunglight and we don't overfeed. My fish are now dying and I am so dishearted.

Please help me otherwise I think I'll just give up......:(:(:( I don't know what else to do.

Well, quite the stubborn tank you have. I will first say sorry if any of my suggestions are repeats of previous replies.

The first thing is do not clean the tank so much at the same time, all you are doing is repeating the cycle and the result will be the same, GREEN PEA SOUP! First, you must eliminate the source of nutrients that algae feeds off of. Assuming you have no live plants in the aquarium, Cover the tank in total darkness for about three to five days.

Feed the fish at night if you must, or better yet, if they are well fed, you can let them fast for a few days, it won't do them any harm. The idea is to eliminate two major nutrient sources, Ammonia and phosphates, especially phosphates. A product that I have recomended and use faithfully is a product called 'PHOS-ZORB'. It is made by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Inc. Follow manufacturer's instructions and within a couple of weeks, you will see a dramatic change in your tank. It may seem pricey, but it is rechargeable many times over. The ammoina buildup in a tank is best kept down untill a healthy cycle is established, by using a bacterial culture additive. I prefer the liquid types. Remember, check the expiry date and refrigerate after opening. I initially use double the dose recomended for a new aquarium setup. This will also help reduce nitrates if there are high levels. Now, you are thinking, I do not want to wait two weeks, what then?

I can only recomend one thing in this case. A diatom filter, It will clean a tank from green to clear within minutes and the more you use it, the better it works. The only problem is you have not cured the problem, the diatom filter only effective if left as a permanent filter it can filter out particles as small as 3 microns, the human eye can see as small as 30 microns (approx.)

If you have objects with limestone, remove them, alkaline water is favorable to algae. Adding a peat extract or running aquarium grade peat moss in your filter will acidify your water. The tannic and hummic acids will stain the water, further reducing available light. Regular weekly water changes and carbon filtration will remove the staining over time. Most fish and plants do well in water that is slightly acidic.

Remember, do not do a water change and clean yor filter on the same day, give at least 72 hours in between those jobs. 20% of the total water volume should be changed per week that is in tanks 50 gallons or less. The slower you stock a tank with fish, the better. I take an average of a year to a year and a half to fully stock a tank, double that if it is a marine tank.

Leave as little organic material possible to decay in the tank. Aim for zero matter. If you see excess organic material, suck it up on the next water change and add bacterial culture.

Cheers,

Ick

Are you talking about the bamboo that you can buy in stores that is growing in just water and stones on the bottom ? If so I have some of that and I will try it in my tank, I have had a problem with scummy looking water and I did a 50 % water change today and scrubbing and changed the filter insides and added some water plants I got at petcettera here in calgary, the fishees seemed to like the fresh water and are very active since. I also used aqua clear for tapwater and some stress coat with aloe vera, and I left the light off all day and have it on now for a little while... cause I like to watch them. But they seem to be doing better.

Only in the very south west part of the province...not within 300km of here.

Really? They're planted everywhere here and in other cities I've lived in - they line streets with them, plant them in parks, etc., even in New Brunswick. I'll have to grab some branches and send them over...lol. Probably any fast-growing tree would have the same effect I would think. I keep Lucky Bamboo in several of my tanks and they do a nice job with excess nutrients as well. :D I like the method because it addresses the main causes.

Are you talking about the bamboo that you can buy in stores that is growing in just water and stones on the bottom ? If so I have some of that and I will try it in my tank, I have had a problem with scummy looking water and I did a 50 % water change today and scrubbing and changed the filter insides and added some water plants I got at petcettera here in calgary, the fishees seemed to like the fresh water and are very active since. I also used aqua clear for tapwater and some stress coat with aloe vera, and I left the light off all day and have it on now for a little while... cause I like to watch them. But they seem to be doing better.
Only in the very south west part of the province...not within 300km of here.

Really? They're planted everywhere here and in other cities I've lived in - they line streets with them, plant them in parks, etc., even in New Brunswick. I'll have to grab some branches and send them over...lol. Probably any fast-growing tree would have the same effect I would think. I keep Lucky Bamboo in several of my tanks and they do a nice job with excess nutrients as well. :D I like the method because it addresses the main causes.

Yes, that is what they are refering to. Any marginal or aquatic plant will do the trick. The faster growing varieties are best as they pull nutrients out of the water, faster.

That's the stuff Rhonda - Home Depot, sometimes flourists shops, etc. If Chinese New Year is big there, you'll find it everywhere then.

Now don't laugh at my ugly tank - I can't have plants in it between the Cichlid and the plant-eating snails in there, and the waterline has to be low for the snails to lay their eggs. :blush:

This 20G tank is beside patio doors and the curtain top is about 6" below the ceiling, to give you some scale - they grow fast. The front one is grown in a spiral - you can do that with some artful turning towards a window, and it keeps the height in check.

MM-20G-Bamboo.jpg

It doesn't need direct light, requires very little water and no soil. Its native habitat is Asia and I think Africa. Mine lost almost all of its leaves before it was rooted, so I'll be chopping little bits off the bottom until it is all leaves above the tanks. I've never used it for Green Water so I won't say that it will address the issue like Willow does, but it does work well for nutrient uptake.

The story: 'Lucky Bamboo' {Dracaena Sanderiana} is considered to be a lucky house-warming gift and is popular for other occasions, due to its association with Feng Shui. Apparently it is an ultimate representative of the wood and water element. Tie red ribbon to the stalks and it is believed to increase the flow of positive energy (chi). 4 stalks should always be avoided (... can't remember the details, but I think it sounds like the Chinese word for death?). Three stalks symbolize happiness, 5 = wealth and 6 = happiness. I don't know what a house full will bring me

B) .

That's the stuff Rhonda - Home Depot, sometimes flourists shops, etc. If Chinese New Year is big there, you'll find it everywhere then.

Now don't laugh at my ugly tank - I can't have plants in it between the Cichlid and the plant-eating snails in there, and the waterline has to be low for the snails to lay their eggs. :blush:

This 20G tank is beside patio doors and the curtain top is about 6" below the ceiling, to give you some scale - they grow fast. The front one is grown in a spiral - you can do that with some artful turning towards a window, and it keeps the height in check.

MM-20G-Bamboo.jpg

It doesn't need direct light, requires very little water and no soil. Its native habitat is Asia and I think Africa. Mine lost almost all of its leaves before it was rooted, so I'll be chopping little bits off the bottom until it is all leaves above the tanks. I've never used it for Green Water so I won't say that it will address the issue like Willow does, but it does work well for nutrient uptake.

The story: 'Lucky Bamboo' {Dracaena Sanderiana} is considered to be a lucky house-warming gift and is popular for other occasions, due to its association with Feng Shui. Apparently it is an ultimate representative of the wood and water element. Tie red ribbon to the stalks and it is believed to increase the flow of positive energy (chi). 4 stalks should always be avoided (... can't remember the details, but I think it sounds like the Chinese word for death?). Three stalks symbolize happiness, 5 = wealth and 6 = happiness. I don't know what a house full will bring me

B) .

Can the bamboo be imersed right into the water ? or do some leaves have to be above water?and I do have some of those here at home already lol but I don't think its tall enough to come out of the aquarium , my tank has cleared up alot today it is almost crystal clear and the fishes like the plants lots of places to hunt and sneek up on each other, my cory is coming out from hiding now too. I am still leaving the light off till I can be sure it is cleared up but I do put it on once in awhile. It is so nice to see the fish again and not feel guilty that I am hurting them.

Nobody who tries as hard as you did could ever be anything but wonderful to her fish - no more being hard on yourself young lady!

The leaves will rot if submersed I would think, but I've never tried it. Its actual leaves that form as the stock so I don't think it would grow up and out of the tank without them. Could you somehow keep it up from the bottom? It doesn't have to be touching the base of the tank. Tie it to some equipment or something? Otherwise, the one I got from Home Depot was tall and it was something like $2.99, so you could try to find some. The flourists should have taller ones but you'd pay more.

These bamboo are nice ornamental plants, but if you're looking for nutrient export (ie, want the plant to get as much out as possible), you may want to go with something that is faster-growing.

The quickest-growing plants that I've used are pothos (I think they're also called Devil's Ivy) and Peace Lily (aka Brazillian Sword). Just stick the roots in the water, and you can almost watch them grow!!

These bamboo are nice ornamental plants, but if you're looking for nutrient export (ie, want the plant to get as much out as possible), you may want to go with something that is faster-growing.

The quickest-growing plants that I've used are pothos (I think they're also called Devil's Ivy) and Peace Lily (aka Brazillian Sword). Just stick the roots in the water, and you can almost watch them grow!!

The growth rate is great - faster than my normal houseplants anyway. I wouldn't call it phenominal though. I've heard of Pothos as well but I haven't tried it - thanks for the ideas!

Oh and a word of warning - all of these plants are poisonous, so if you cut it I'd let it 'clot' before putting it in the tank, and keep it away from cats, etc.

Another type of plant is a peace lilly (spathiphyllum). They have phenominal growth rate, need minimal light, and are relatively care free. You may even get a bloom or two! :hey:

I have used them in fish bowls and aquariums. In an aquarium, I have used two methods to use them in my systems.

1. If you have a cascade style filter (aquaclear), then take the ammo chips and use half of the original content for that filter size. I use a re-useable media bag. Put a suitably sized plant, roots rinsed off, into the void that you have created in the filter. Remember, plants absorb most of the same pollutants that zeolite absorbs.

2. Take a 1/2" (1cm) thick sheet of styrofoam and cut a 3" x 3" (8cm x 8cm) square for one plant. I silicone (6) 1/4" (.5cm) split shot (fishing weights) to the bottom of the square. Cut a 1" (2.24cm) hole in the center. You now have a pontoon for your plant. I then use plastic from a margarine container lid and cut out a piece that will generously cover the hole in your pontoon (that almost sounded dirty :cuss: !!) gut a cross in the middle, carefully feed the roots through, right up to the crown (where the roots and leaves meet). feed the roots throught the hole in the pontoon and set sail on the high seas! The plant will have to be allowed to grow through an opening in your canopy. If you do not have a canopy, then using fishing line and a small rock or ornament, create an anchor. That will prevent your plant from drifting into your inlet/outlet of your filter. :thumbs:

I forgot to mention in method #1. the void is lined with another reuseable media bag and fine gravel make an awesome planting media and easy to remove. Gawd, I am such an Idgit!

Another type of plant is a peace lilly (spathiphyllum). They have phenominal growth rate, need minimal light, and are relatively care free. You may even get a bloom or two! :hey:

I have used them in fish bowls and aquariums. In an aquarium, I have used two methods to use them in my systems.

1. If you have a cascade style filter (aquaclear), then take the ammo chips and use half of the original content for that filter size. I use a re-useable media bag. Put a suitably sized plant, roots rinsed off, into the void that you have created in the filter. Remember, plants absorb most of the same pollutants that zeolite absorbs.

2. Take a 1/2" (1cm) thick sheet of styrofoam and cut a 3" x 3" (8cm x 8cm) square for one plant. I silicone (6) 1/4" (.5cm) split shot (fishing weights) to the bottom of the square. Cut a 1" (2.24cm) hole in the center. You now have a pontoon for your plant. I then use plastic from a margarine container lid and cut out a piece that will generously cover the hole in your pontoon (that almost sounded dirty :cuss: !!) gut a cross in the middle, carefully feed the roots through, right up to the crown (where the roots and leaves meet). feed the roots throught the hole in the pontoon and set sail on the high seas! The plant will have to be allowed to grow through an opening in your canopy. If you do not have a canopy, then using fishing line and a small rock or ornament, create an anchor. That will prevent your plant from drifting into your inlet/outlet of your filter. :thumbs:

For the past year, I've just used HOB filters w. a few lava rocks in it. Stuck the peace lily (w. rinsed roots, of course) right in. Works like a charm, too! :thumbs:

Pardon the mechanically challenged techy over here, but how exactly do you do that? Media bag or do you put the rocks into the box part? Is this your actual filter or do you only use it as a flower pot...lol? I have to use coral and Tufa in my filter anyway (man I envy you people with hard water), so it sounds like something that would work well for me.