Green Water - Hopeless

Hi everyone,

Its been a while since I last posted. A bit has changed since then.

I have horrible green water in my 33G cichlid tank and I'm just about ready to give up. Its been this way for about a month now and NOTHING works.

1) I tried "Clear Fast" from Golds - put in recommended amount, waited a day, did 50% change, dosed it again, did 50% change, nothing - it cleared a bit but came back

2) I tried it again, but this time dumped out 80-90% of the water each time and cleaned the filter carefully. Almost worked. But it came back again.

3) Now, I have a UV sterilizer, its been running for 24 hours and not the slighest change. I will attempt to put in Clear Fast, run the sterilizer and dump out water at 80%. I am a bit reluctant because I'm afraid that won't work either.

This all started when one night we had a brilliant idea of removing some algae from rocks. We used the tank water and scrubbed it off with a clear scrubbie. That must have upset the balance.

The tank is not in direct sunglight and we don't overfeed. My fish are now dying and I am so dishearted.

Please help me otherwise I think I'll just give up......:(:(:( I don't know what else to do.

Edited by BluePenguin

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone,

Its been a while since I last posted. A bit has changed since then.

I have horrible green water in my 33G cichlid tank and I'm just about ready to give up. Its been this way for about a month now and NOTHING works.

1) I tried "Clear Fast" from Golds - put in recommended amount, waited a day, did 50% change, dosed it again, did 50% change, nothing - it cleared a bit but came back

2) I tried it again, but this time dumped out 80-90% of the water each time and cleaned the filter carefully. Almost worked. But it came back again.

3) Now, I have a UV sterilizer, its been running for 24 hours and not the slighest change. I will attempt to put in Clear Fast, run the sterilizer and dump out water at 80%. I am a bit reluctant because I'm afraid that won't work either.

This all started when one night we had a brilliant idea of removing some algae from rocks. We used the tank water and scrubbed it off with a clear scrubbie. That must have upset the balance.

The tank is not in direct sunglight and we don't overfeed. My fish are now dying and I am so dishearted.

Please help me otherwise I think I'll just give up......:(:(:( I don't know what else to do.

Are the lights all off? Turn of the lights and it should kill the algae bloom. If it isn't lit, perhaps cover the tank from normal light.

Green water usually comes from excess light and ammonia. How's the filter? Has it been changed/cleaned recently? Maybe give the sponges a good rinse in some old tank water, and replace any carbon you might be using.

Also, no algae can survive in the dark. Black-out (ie cover it w. a blanket - no light at all) for a few days will wipe it out.

Edited by jvision

I agree...go a 48 hour black out (covered with a blanket, even) and keep that UV steriliser going, and the tank should be great afterwards....then keep up with the water-changes, filter maintenance, and limit the lights to 12 hours daily.

I'm going to assume this is some advice you have covered, but my friend had horrible green water and dying fish and she just could not get rid of it.

Make sure the biological filtration (those little white balls or rings) are there, and that you're not washing away the beneficial bacteria.

I don't know, maybe a small detail you're overlooking. Jenn's filter didn't come with the white ceramic (or whatever) rings and as soon as she added them her problem disappeared.

You can usually find Diatom filters used - try Buysell.com. :)

Do you have a Willow tree nearby? I have heard miraculous stories from fish-keepers that I highly respect who have used Willow branches for green water with great success. This link will take you to a post (I hope...lol) about it by a BC hobbyist who has stunning tanks and really knows his stuff. Everyone that I know who has tried it has been amazed.

Good luck with it!

Thanks guys

I keep on hearing about this diatom filter - where can you rent one in Calgary?

You can't but they do show up used....and Pisces sells them reasonably cheap. I seem to remember that "Devon" on this board had a new one for sale quite cheaply...unless she already sold it.

Do you have a Willow tree nearby?

Only in the very south west part of the province...not within 300km of here.

Barley straw extract or pellets work, too, but I would try the blackout first.

Only in the very south west part of the province...not within 300km of here.

Really? They're planted everywhere here and in other cities I've lived in - they line streets with them, plant them in parks, etc., even in New Brunswick. I'll have to grab some branches and send them over...lol. Probably any fast-growing tree would have the same effect I would think. I keep Lucky Bamboo in several of my tanks and they do a nice job with excess nutrients as well. :D I like the method because it addresses the main causes.

Really? They're planted everywhere here and in other cities I've lived in - they line streets with them, plant them in parks, etc.,

Yeah, I know...I am from BC....best we do out here are weeping birch....just too cold in winters and too dry in summers for willow here.

Yeah, I know...I am from BC....best we do out here are weeping birch....just too cold in winters and too dry in summers for willow here.

Truth be told, I probably have seen the Birch and thought they were Willows - anything 'weepish' I designate a Willow :blush: .

Eventually I'll track a bunch down, so if anybody has room to keep them in a bucket and distribute them I'd be happy to send them over for the cost of shipping. I'll have to dress up in coveralls and claim I work for the city while I 'landscape' in local parks... ssshhhh.... B)

sorry, i'm not too sure about this particular situation, but...

i use a vortex diatom filter on a monthly basis on my tanks, half hour or so on each tank after w/c. works great but there can definitely be some hassles involved, especially at first. the instruction manual can seem a bit cryptic at spots and recharging vortex can be a pain. it can get expensive too depending on your d.e source. grab a used model if you don't mind trading a couple of headaches for polished tank water. good luck with your situation.