keepin fry alive in a 120

edmguy

i have a 120 gal tank with 4 breeding trios(snow white socolofi,blue socolofi,Ps. lombardi and electric blue haps) 2 breeding pairs(some kinda julie sp. and electric yellow) and 3 wild synodontis. these pairs breed like its the last day on earth. all the fry gets eaten all the time. i have half of the tank rocks stacked to the top with lots of hiding places the other half of the tank is covered in plants and 2 stumps that also provide hideing places.

what can i do to increase the # of survivors?????

Fry are no match for the speed of a couple of adults, no matter where they can find to hide as soon as one adult sees them all the rest will be after them like fat kids at a Smartie Scramble.

Once the fry get large enough to not be bite-sized they have a half a chance, but even then survival would be sketchy, at best. I have had the odd fry make it, but this is seriously maybe one in a 100... not gunna fill a tank at that rate.

I would make a pile of small rocks/shells, whathaveyou. Something pretty dense. Then feed that pile only after you've fed all your other fish - use a turkey baster or something to get the food right in there.

I'm not saying it works - not even saying I've tried it. It's just what I would try.

Electric blues and synodontis are natural fry eaters and the likelihood of even a few survivors is at best minimal - the electric blues will get them during the day and the synodontis at night. Pile the rocks closely together and make the pile deep - the predators are built to grag anything that is even close to the edges and use larger rocks. When these guys are hunting they will move pretty large objects in their exuburance to feed. They will probably also dig out any gravel or sand aroung the rocks, so make sure they are on eggcrate or the bottom of the tank.You might also want to try a floating breeding trap - one made of netting or wrap a nylon stocking around a plastic one. If there are any slots or openings of any kind the fry will be pulled through them in an instant. At least that way they will have a chance to get to 1/2 - 3/4".Good luck.