NLS for rays

rudy

Great food I know, however since I have changed my Henlei Rays over from Hikari to NLS I notice that there is about 10 times more crap in the tank and it seems to be less "formed". I think it may even give them Diareha

I wonder if anybody else has noticed this? :boxed:

Is it the 6mm Jumbo TherA formula by chance?

Give them some time to adjust to 'real' food, and feed them less than what you previously were feeding the Hikari. I suspect that it's nothing more than adjusting to their new diet. If it's the 6mm Thera formula, I'll have more to add.

Also, let me know which Hikari formula you were feeding.

Edited by RD.

Is it the 6mm Jumbo TherA formula by chance?

Yes that is it

Hikari Carnivore pellets are what I was feeding

I sure hope your right Neil as my tank looks like hell since the NLS experience

Edited by rudy

I'm sure fish are the same as other pets in that when you change their diet it can cause some problems until they get used to it. Of course I am not as experienced as some of you others so feel free to correct me.

Ok, then there's your problem. The TherA formula compared to that particular Hikari formula is like comparing a tuna sandwich, to a 5 course steak & lobster meal. The Hikari carnivore pellets contain 17% ash, which is over twice as much ash (mineral content) compared to the TherA. In other words they are using fairly low grade fish meal & krill meal. My guess is you can feed half as much of the TherA as you have been, maybe even less that that. The TherA formula is very potent stuff, and a little goes a VERY long ways. The bacteria in the fishes intestines probably went into overdrive when you starting tossing the TherA in last week, and it would have been best to ease them on to that formula while mixing in the Hikari.

To give you an idea of how potent the TherA is, I took one of dunl's red zebra females that had a concave stomach (which he stated that she had always had), and in 10 days I had her conditioned for spawning.

She was almost on the plump side in that short of a timeframe. Keep cutting back on the food until you find that they are having no further gastrointestinal issues. The food is extremely digestible, so there should be very little overall waste in your tank.

• 4 weeks later...

Tim - what size are these rays?

Unless your rays are gigantic, I would think that the 3mm Large Fish formula would be more appropriate. (size wise) Using the Large Fish formula would also remove any potential issues caused by the higher fat & garlic content that's found in the TherA formula, if that has any connection. Never seen or heard of it before with TherA (even in rays) but that's about the only thing I can think of. I asked Pablo about this last week, he felt that the 6mm are too large, and that the only formula that he's seen fed to rays is the Large Fish, and he's personally never seen, or heard of any rays having gastrointestinal issues with it.

I will take some pics Neil

The rays are the Henlei from golds. The female is very big 20 inches of so. With the hikari the poop was a large sac looking thing. With the NLS it is just plain old runny.

It is just frustrating as I am changing the FX5 filters once a week!

It sounds to me like the TherA may be too rich for the rays, and their bacterial flora are having difficulty with some of the ingredients, possibly the amount of lipids in that formula. Before you give up, I would recommend trying the 3mm Large Fish pellets.

Approx how many of the 6mm pellets is each fish eating per day?

Edited by RD.