1st Tank!

jvision

Well, I'm doin it! Setting up my 1st SW tank. I've been keeping and breeding FW for over 15 years, but I've got to admit, I'm a bit intimidated by it all.

Here's the plan:

21 gal (24Wx 14Dx 16H)

5x65W T5

XP3 w. LR rubble

AC 300 HOB fuge

~35lbs LR

2-3 Powerheads for flow

1.5" sandbed

The plan is to make it a reef tank featuring a bunch of corals, an anemone and a pair of percs.

I'll post pics as the process comes along - will likely get 'er all started on Wed.

5x65W T5? Heh, where the hell did you find that little monster?

And just a little constructive critisism, either go deep (4") with the sand bed if your into that, or a thin layer (<1"). I had a 2" bed of sugar sand in my reef and it was a PITA to keep clean.

Other than that, looks good and goodluck :D

Hi Jason,

Have fun with your new salt water adventure, they are so much more interesting then fresh. About the heat and setting up a small tank now, if your basement is like mine then it should not be an issue. My little setup never gets above 81 even the last 2-3 days.

I have some fragged sea mat if your interested in some hardy zoo's to start out with. They are sorta burgendy in color.

Sammy

Hopefully, I'll be setting stuff up on Wed or Thu, and will run it fishless for a while - the LR is already cured (from an existing tank that is being torn down), but I don't want to rush things.

5x65W T5? Heh, where the hell did you find that little monster?

It's actually 5 individual lights... I'm still trying to find a way to DIY retrofit them into my existing hood.

I'll post picks when I get started.

Yeah... I think I got a little over zealous. I've been thinking about that... "5 65wers... I'd need sunglasses just to look at the tank!" B) I'm gonna take a look at 'em again - I'm thinking 35Wea.

At any rate, there's 5 of 'em - 2 actinic. I haven't hooked 'em up yet, still trying to get all the crud off/out of the LR - it was in a neglected tank. Lots of tube worms and littel seastars, tho!

Here's a couple pics of what I have so far. Just a bunch of LR - trying to get all the crud out of it.

DSCF0815.jpg

DSCF0814.jpg

The bioballs are in there b/c they came w. a tank I just picked up w. the LR, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do w. them yet. Probably sell 'em or trade for something I need.