Brine Shrimp Eggs

Cheese

Does anyone know where in Edmonton I can get large batches of brine shrimp eggs? It's getting expensive buying the little 6 oz bottles...my angelfish babies are going through them like crazy.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy a Pistol & Mortar and a bucket of NLS Grow. It'll last you forever!

Buy a Pistol & Mortar and a bucket of NLS Grow. It'll last you forever!

Where do I get NLS Grow? This is my first real 'learning experience' with breeding cichlids.

My other cichlids were so easy when they bred...I fed the fry Hikari first bites and they did very well.

Edited by Cheese

You can order a 425g can of premium grade cysts here:

http://www.dynamicaqua.com/feeds.html

:D

Wow! :shock: It's actually cheaper to buy it from someone on ebay in England for a larger package though...$10 less even after shipping.

Cheese - how old are your angel fry? BBS is a great food for angel fry for the first 1-3 weeks of their life, but after that your fish would be far better off being switched over to a high quality commercial feed. First bites certainly wouldn't be my first choice, due to the low lipid content in that formula. Due to their higher metabolic rates, fry/juvies require a higher crude fat content, or they will end up utilizing the protein content as an energy source. The end result is less than optimum growth.

I've never tried eBay for that sort of thing because I'm always concerned about the quality - I miss lots of good stuff due to being over-cautious I'm sure :blush: .

There are other live foods to progress to if that's your favoured method. You can gut-load to provide even more good stuff. I even gut-load my microworms.

I finally got to try Mike Reed's food a couple of months ago. I'm big on a varied diet but that's tougher for small fry, so that's the food I started with and the only one I've tried so far. Serious hobbyist, former editor of TFH mag, degree in biology, etc etc etc:

http://www.mreed.com/fryfoods.shtml

I can't give it a complete review until I've used it longer, but so far so I'm impressed.

I like to combine live/fresh, frozen and commercial foods. That way I'm covering all of my bases rather than depending only on tradition, information older than I am, or commercial hype. One thing I've learned in marketing is that a good marketer can convince you that your fish will grow two heads and that's a good thing, complete with expert studies....lol....so a little common sense goes a long way. I think of commercial food as more of a multi-vitamin.

Its always good to see a breeder who is so concerned about their creatures that they put so much thought, time and effort into their care, not to mention funding that level of concern. I hope you'll post pictures of them as they grow - I love that sort of thing. :D

4 days, then yeah, I guess you don't have time to be ordering from the US or abroad.

One thing I've learned in marketing is that a good marketer can convince you that your fish will grow two heads and that's a good thing, complete with expert studies....lol....so a little common sense goes a long way. I think of commercial food as more of a multi-vitamin.

While you're welcome to your opinion, Melody, I certainly hope that last comment wasn't directed at me.

We've been down this path before, and I can assure that it's not one that you will want to go down again, at least not with me.

Now kids, play nice and friendly-like....at least on the board...you are welcome to tear each other's eyes out off-forum. :D

I was no more targeting him than I was targeting you with 'traditions'. I'm not sure where the comment came from, but I apologize if my reply was somehow inflammatory. Thank you for being right in there - the stress of arguements I do not need....lol.

Edit: My apologies to Cheese as well. My intent was to share my methods and the thought process behind them - it didn't occur to me to restrain any part of that. My methods are a result of combining the experiences of many and I encourage you to do the same. :D

Edited by Melody

I have no intention of playing tit for tat with you again, here, or anywhere else.

It appears that a number of members (including the mods & admin) from your previously frequented forum feel the same way.

BTW Christian, this is me playing nice. :)

This is me not playing nice. :guns: