Brine Shrimp Eggs

Cheese

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ich - I've read that, and pretty much everything else on the subject, and IMHO it's nothing more than a bunch of hoopla over nothing. What, you don't think Canada allows the sale of chilli pepper, or paprika?

Almost everything can become toxic at high enough levels, even aspirin.

The whole ethoxyquin scare started from a single rumour, which became so blown out of proportion that it eventually turned into another urban myth. Ethoxyquin has since been blamed for a myriad of problems, none of which has ever been proven...... ever. Ethoxyquin reminds me of the Y2K scare, thousands of people believed that the world would come to a stand still when it arrived, yet in the end life went on as it always has.

As previously stated; the fact is that this single preservative has probably saved countless lives of pets from suffering from serious health issues caused by bacteria and mould.

The bottom is that without preservatives, the oil found in fish food would become rancid in very short order. What many hobbyists do not understand is that all fish meal based products will contain ethoxyquin. There is simply no getting around that. The manufacturer may have ethoxyquin listed on their label as a preservative, yet may not even be adding this ingredient at their end. In some cases it’s simply added to their ingredients label due to the fact that the fish meal that’s used in their formula, contains ethoxyquin. Overall this usually amounts to a very small amount of ethoxyquin in the finished formula, in some cases, such as in NLS foods, it’s as little as 20 ppm.

BTW - our dog is going on 10 yrs old (a mixed mutt) and she still acts like a pup! Guess what, she also consumes a miniscule amount of ethoxyquin on a daily basis via her dry dog food. The fact that she's a mutt, and not some overly inbred show quality specimen is most likely the reason why. I've owned purebred dogs, and seen my share of health issues caused by nothing more than sloppy breeding. Some breeders simply can't take responsibilty for their own actions.

Edited by RD.

I make / raise most of my foods. I currently use Tetra's line of processed foods to use for supplemental and when I am away from home. Quite frankly, I am not against commercial foods but there are two sides to every argument and I just want to make sure they are presented. I am actually going to buy some NLS and give it a serious try, especially for my Killies. I think as far as commercialy prepared foods go, NLS holds a lot of promise. I just want it to be known that nothing is written in stone and if we think that we are even close knowing everything that there is to be known about anything in the natural world, we are sadly mistaken

I copied this from my intro:

Five tanks, four Fresh water, one Marine, and a terarrium for a coffee table which houses some Betta imbellis, white cloud minnows, weather loach, BN Pleco, and two species of dendrobates (poison dart frogs). It is neat to look at the transition between water and land and how the inhabitants use it.

I also have three tanks devoted to killi fish which are my absolute favorite family. My other freshwater tank is a 48 gal. community that is fully planted. I have clown loaches(5), Serpae, rummy nose, and Emporer tetras. Also, there are Two leporinus, 4 halfbeaks, scissortail rasbora, a zebra pleco that is 5 years old (it is the only fish I have named... ...Spot of course!). I also have some jullii corydoras, and I use three farrowellas to keep the algae down. I occasionally am treated to the sight of my banjo cat (this species of fish is surprisingly tame or it just doesn't care about anything). My marine is a 77 gal. reef and houses a pelethera of species of fish, corals, crustacea, mollusks, and other invertabrates. When I get some pics up, I list more in detail because there is quite the variety in there.

I also have a small feeder tank, quarrantine tank and hospital tank for both marine and freshwater.

For killies it goes as follows:

The first tank ia an Aphyosemion tank, I have three species that I house. They are:

1. Aphysemion Australe (I don't know anyone who collects Killies and doesn't have a group of these.)

2. Aphyosemion Volcanum

3. Aphyosemion maculatum

Aphysemion is definitely one of the most colorfull groups of Killies. Their general cranky attitudes are very entertaining.

The next tank has three species of Nothobranchius. These guys are definitely little jewels.

1. Nothobranchius sp. (still not sure what species this is, When I get some pics up, maybe I can get all you people to try and identify this one!)

2. Nothobranchius orthonotus

2. Nothobranchius korthausae (This little fish has to have the reddest color than anyother Notho I have seen.

For each species, I try to run (5) females to every male. My Aphyos are in a ten to one ratio where as my nothos are in a three to one ratio

The last tank is a mix of species, divided of course!

1. Callopanchax monroviae - blue form

2. Rivulus xiphidus (this is one of the most strikingly coloured killies out there)

3. Simpsonichthys reticulatus (another colourful species of killifish)

There you go Cheese. Hope you enjoyed.

I just want it to be known that nothing is written in stone and if we think that we are even close knowing everything that there is to be known about anything in the natural world, we are sadly mistaken.

No argument there.

I am actually going to buy some NLS and give it a serious try, especially for my Killies.

Most of my Nothos like the small stuff.

1. Aphysemion Australe (I don't know anyone who collects Killies and doesn't have a group of these.)

I don't. :P (OK, I did a year ago)

2. Nothobranchius korthausae (This little fish has to have the reddest color than anyother Notho I have seen.

I have some N. korthausae 'Mafia Island' eggs coming to me this week....can't wait....beautiful fish.

There you go Cheese. Hope you enjoyed.

Wow. Pretty impressive.

Where did you get your zebra pleco from? I'd love to have one...but have a hard time thinking about the price they usually are...rarely see them under $200...and my husband complains when I spend $10 on a fish!

There are a few breeds I really enjoy, but my favourite 'groups' are probably catfish and loaches. I have several types of them, and never get tired of watching their quirky behaviour (my kuhlii loaches like to swim with my weather loaches).

I have three children, and they all have their own tanks in their room. My youngest has been addicted to the fish since he was only 2 1/2.

I have some N. korthausae 'Mafia Island' eggs coming to me this week....can't wait....beautiful fish.

Boy would I love to see pics of those when they are mature. You are LUCKY. I'd clean all the tanks in the store to have even a pair! Oh, Did I say that out loud! :P

cheese, Spot, my Zebra Pleco was Purchased at Riverfront Aquariums. Good people, great fish there.

Boy would I love to see pics of those when they are mature. You are LUCKY. I'd clean all the tanks in the store to have even a pair! Oh, Did I say that out loud! :P

I fully expect a marriage proposal for this ... but I'll take money if marriage will involve a present wife chasing me with her broom :D .

cheese, Spot, my Zebra Pleco was Purchased at Riverfront Aquariums. Good people, great fish there.

Is that in Red Deer?

Well, once I have wet them, I should have extras, or you can just get them where I did (Canadian seller, too):

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auc...ishe&1155662399

Well, once I have wet them, I should have extras, or you can just get them where I did (Canadian seller, too):

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auc...ishe&1155662399

I can see why you want it - what a stunning Killi, lucky girl :) . We do have a thriving Killi-culture here, as I'm sure Alberta does. I'm assuming there's a Killi club there or is it more informal? I'm just thinking that since we're so close, the two clubs could probably facilitate some swapping to distribute species that are more common in one place than the other. They probably do that already I suppose. I know the Vancouver club has a member in charge of acquisition who searches these things out. According to the article below, the 20 or so members have over 80 species between them. Bill Stone is the guy to touch base with:

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/people/stone/

Such a shame that we lost Mr. Norfolk :( . Anyways, if there's anything I can do to help get a species from here to there, let me know.

Just to keep this on track, the article above also discusses Bill's feeding methods....lol.

Is that in Red Deer?

http://www.riverfront.ca :)

BTW - our dog is going on 10 yrs old (a mixed mutt) and she still acts like a pup! Guess what, she also consumes a miniscule amount of ethoxyquin on a daily basis via her dry dog food. The fact that she's a mutt, and not some overly inbred show quality specimen is most likely the reason why. I've owned purebred dogs, and seen my share of health issues caused by nothing more than sloppy breeding. Some breeders simply can't take responsibilty for their own actions.

Sorry for throwing this in your thread Cheese, but It needs to be addressed.

So, If lightnig does not strike your house. It does not strike anywhere then? That is what your THEORY outlines. Just because you say it is not true does not equivocate that. The anecdotal evidence is there. Dissmiss it if you want, but Ethoxyquin needs to be studied more to find DEFINITIVE ANSWERS. God help us all if you were in a position of power that affected us all.

Hey, I definitely would be interesed in extras. Can you let me know a day or two in advance. I will pay top dollar for whatever you can afford to let go. I am more of a cash kinda guy, I use it whenever I can. Getting to the store is a snap for me also.

Edited by Ichthyosporidium

I can see why you want it - what a stunning Killi, lucky girl :) . We do have a thriving Killi-culture here, as I'm sure Alberta does. I'm assuming there's a Killi club there or is it more informal? I'm just thinking that since we're so close, the two clubs could probably facilitate some swapping to distribute species that are more common in one place than the other. They probably do that already I suppose. I know the Vancouver club has a member in charge of acquisition who searches these things out. According to the article below, the 20 or so members have over 80 species between them. Bill Stone is the guy to touch base with:

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/people/stone/

Such a shame that we lost Mr. Norfolk :( . Anyways, if there's anything I can do to help get a species from here to there, let me know.

Just to keep this on track, the article above also discusses Bill's feeding methods....lol.

Great link there Melody. I have to come out to Vancouver and hopefully meet some of these breeders, and learn some "new" tricks of the trade.