The fish condo, 56k warning !

blainep

I guess this fits as a DIY project. This took up most of my spare time for about 2 months and ended up costing quite a bit more than I planned to spend, but I'm happy with the results and I guess that's what really matters. B)

It started with getting lucky and managing to grab a few tanks from the Sunridge Petland renos (My thanks to Petland). After spending the better end of a month cleaning, repairing and resealing tanks, I ended up with about twenty 15 and 20 gallon tanks.

The next question is putting the tanks to use. I wanted to attempt my first sump system and I really had no idea what I was about to jump into !

1.jpg

The tank cleaning operation .

4.jpg

The Tanks, all lined up.

6.jpg

Pump Testing.

7.jpg

Construction day. Making sure the tanks fit on the shelves.

9.jpg

Assembly, Does it fit ?

11.jpg

12.jpg

And it holds the tanks and water.

13.jpg

The first tenants.

14.jpg

15.jpg

Decorating the tanks with the goodies I picked up at the CAS auction !

Pictures of the finished product to follow. I've scince added the center supports and tied up the wiring so it is off the floor and away from the tanks to prevent them from getting wet. Also added small shelves on the sides for air pumps .

The filtration is handled by 2 20 gallon drilled tanks to act as the sump. Along with 2 of the corner drip filters that were used by Petland and 4 (so far) large air driven sponge filters. The lids for the tanks I made out of difuser panels. The shelves are 4 2x6's lengthwise and cross braced, with 5/8ths plywood on top (each), all glued, screwed and bolted together.

All the tanks are valved, so any tank can be separated from the rest, the downflows are all covered with AC 20 HOB foam filters to prevent livestock transfer.

And alot more I can't think of right now.

Anyway, thought I'd share Phase 1 of the fishroom with everyone.

Blaine

Very Cool!

if you don't mind me asking... why all 10 and 15 gallon tanks?

why not put a 6 foot tank on one row and then the smaller tanks?

nev

Might have something to do with free/cheap tanks from Petland?lol

got my share of those too, but also got some 55 gals. I use the big

ones for my cichs and the smaller ones suit guppies, bettas and

most plecos just fine! I didn't use a sump system, I'm sticking with

individual filtration. Costs a bit more to set up, but at least I don't

have to worry about 'sick tanks' spreading nasties about. I guess

I have to get some pictures now too?

Most of my room is set up, got to do a couple things still. Not all

the tanks are full, mostly cause I don't have fish to fill them all so

I don't see the point of running empty tanks for months. Free beer

to anyone who can come help me finish! (involves moving an old

fridge)

Might have something to do with free/cheap tanks from Petland?lol

Makes sense!

so what do you charge for rent? I have a small group of Saulosi babies that are looking for immediate possession. I think I may have to evict them from my tank as they are getting too rowdy...

:P

nev

I went with the 15 gallon tanks on the rack just because I had so many of them. So this is my 'little fish' condo. Currently it's housing my Endlers, Heterandria formosa, Ameca Splenden fry, Orange tail Goodied fry, Crystal and Cherry red shrimps, Zebra Danio fry and a few of those cool snails from Melody.

As you can tell, I like little fish and livebearers.

There are a couple of errors in my design, but nothing I can't work around.

Most of the tanks are already spoken for, I have a big box of rare livebearers coming in soon, enough that I will have to step up production of 'Phase 2' ( all the 20 gal tanks, 8 of them, done in a similar fashon).

I was freaked out for sure when it came time to fill the tanks, would it leak? would I suddenly have 2200 plus pounds of water on the floor ?

Thankfully only 1 dripper (the painted tank on the bottom row), a quick replacement with another tank and all was good.

The thing is way bigger than I had pictured in my mind , 80 inches high and 8 feet 3 inches long and nearly 3 feet wide, but much like standing in a fishstore.

Phase 3 is going to include larger 50ish gallon tanks, hoping to finish the room with one or two huge tanks, but thats quite a long way off yet.

Next spring I gotta redo my pond, sprung a leak in Aug. I decided just to let it drain for this year.

Blaine

I'm amazed that you were able to get those tanks that clean. Man those things were bad. You must of put some major elbow grease into play there. The setup looks great!

Those tanks were nasty, I set up a 'production line' for cleaning. By soaking them in tubs with vinegar and water overnight most of the goo and grunge was gone, then a wipe down and rinse got them pretty clean.

Thats also why I decided to have the tanks sit on the shelves the way they do, the fronts of the tanks are very cloudy from abrasive cleaning pads . So the viewing window is smaller, but clear, so you can accutally see the fish.

Looks also like I will need to increase the drainage ability. The drain pipe is handling the flow, but if something happens to slow down the flow, I may have a small flood happen.

So I'm going to 'T' into the drain hose in a couple of places and add a second hose. That will increase the amount of water that can travel thru and give me a backup in case one of hoses fail or get plugged.

A little more tweaking and I think things should be perfect (or as close as I'll get to perfect).

Blaine