Native Fish Tank

Slough Shark

Do I need a special permit to keep native fish such as shiners and Trout-perch in my tank? What are your feelings about the idea?

I am seriously thinking about it (if legal), it would be the Nature tank, scratch the nature tank stocking idea of course. For stocking I was thinking (30 Gal):

6 Emerald Shiners

4 Spottail Shiners

2 Trout-Perch

Maybe some daces if I can get them

All the fish would be harvested from Pigeon Lake, I have a cabin there :D

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fish and Wild Life law states that it is ilegal to transport or keep any native livestock with out a permit.

I believe the reason for this is that they do not want fish being introduced into another waterbody where they didn't formerly exist. This has happened in the past when someones fish got to big, or they just got bored with them and decided to let them go in the closest place. This BTW is a national thing and not just specific to Alberta.

Edited by Sam Chicklets

Areas in banff have been populated by some idiots african jewel fish, because of that handicap the banff subspecies of [i think] longnose dace is extinct. What a face head!!!

Cave & Basin drainage marsh...it was originally (back in the 50's) jewel cichlids, sailfin mollies, mosquitofish, guppies, neons, and angels, but the angels, neons and guppies did not survive long, and now the three former species are all doing very well...and the Banff Longnose Dace, outcompeted in its only habitat, was officialy declared extinct 20 years ago.

now the three former species are all doing very well..

I usually go there a couple times a year, used to be able to watch the parent cichlids with their young in the summer but haven't seen a cichlid for probably 3 or 4 years now, I am thinking it is due to naturally reduced water levels in the marshes,they may be farther out in the marsh but I doubt this as the water temperature would drop as well,they may come back if the water level rises again....who knows.The other two species are still doing well......I do not agree with introductions but the fish are interesting to see in a sort of natural environment

I do not agree with introductions but the fish are interesting to see in a sort of natural environment

I thik it would be cool to make a man made lake, kinda like the ones that they have in the newer developments, and keep tropical aquarum fish in there. I would love to go dive or snorkel in there and see all the fish we keep being more natural.

Brad