Nandopsis

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Heya

I'm a 29 year old carpenter living in calgary and dove back into the hobby earlier this year. My father kept multiple tanks when I was young, and worked as a marine biologist out east. I hope to someday replicate his giant coldwater trout tank ;). I've always been a fish nut, and a bit of a geek for water chemistry and DIY filtration. With my current set-ups, I'm hoping to take a crack at successfully breeding some of my species, so I tend to be doing most of my reading along those lines.

My Tanks:

100 Gallon Lake Malawi Young Mbuna's/Haps

-15g Wet/dry Trickle Filter with inline mini-biowheel/sponge filter

1m4f Iodotropheus Sprengerae "Rusty Cichlids"

1m3f Labidochromis sp Hongi "Super Red Tops"

2m8f Pseudotropheus sp Acei Itungi "Black Tanzanians"

1m2f Pseudotropheus Elongatus "Chewere"

1m3f Cyrtocara Moorii "Blue Dolphins"

55 Gallon Community/Gourami

-Fluval 305 Can

Pair Sunset Gourami's

Pair Gold Gourami's

Pair Blue Gourami's

Pair Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami's

Pair Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami's

1 Moonlight Gourami

1 Clown Pleco

small gang of various tetra's

4 juvenile Flying Fox

Assassin Snails

15 Gallon Mini-Tanganyika

Neolamprologus Multifaciatus "Shellies"

Great to be part of a local online forum! See ya around.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello to all, Just getting back to the hobby. Kids all grown and moved out ( well, the youngest moved back in before I could change the lock) and have a little time to do more fishkeeping. Actually never stopped. Have a dozen koi in outside 1500 gal pond and now wintering in the sunroom in 600 gal plastic tank. In 230 gal aquarium resides a 24 ànd 17 in. red tail catfish. A pair of actively breeding red devils in an 80 gal tank. Will post pictures later.

Thank you! Ben

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Everyone ..... I am a Senior { nice way of saying "Old Bag"}. I live in Westlock {cheaper rent than Edmonton}. I am brand new 2 the fish world and vey pleased to be here with all of you. This site is my dream come true, because I will be needing a lot of advice as I learn from and along with the group. I have been doing my homework on Fish and Aquariums for the last couple of months { can you say" BoggledBrainBoob, to much input" } I have 3 fish books and 2 magazines on fish and their proper care , I want to be the best fish mom I can be . I have also gone everywhere I could find 2 read up on proper care and selecting of compatable fish, I also have been spending hours each day on Kijji { looking for aquariums and supplys at reasonable prices }. I have officially been rewarded by being confused along with a whip snortin headache { getting old and confused sucks... lol... }. I am more than willing to listen and learn on this great site. I am doing the research to lessen the chances of being a fish murder. I am willing to share whatever I can, as I get to know and grow, I also offer 2 be supportive of members going through any personal stuff that leaves you needing a shoulder. Thank-You for being here . I look forward 2 getting to know the rest of the group. LadyBlue PS/ I am rotton with computers and even worse with spelling lol now if someone would please just paste this in the right post section Ill be very gratefull LadyBlue . PSS/ I Sooooooo agree with the other posters in this section are saying about it being great to be able to talk to Albertans, a lot of sites are USA and Britain, wich is great but not much help when we are looking for info about where 2 buy and wich stores are the best prices and heathy fish. I know Im way older than you guys but I am so pleased you are allowing me to be a part of this community :ml: :ml: :ml:

Private messageE-mail LadyBlue from Calgary. I feel the same as you J-roc. Forums on the net cater toward a whole different dynamics and geography. Not many people on them (at least the ones I am on) have anybody locally participating.

Things like retailer reviews, fish store finds and general experience are hard to find when you are talking to people from another continent. Anyway, looking forward to it.

:mellow:

Little bit about me I am 28, can be a real smart @$$, opinionated prick. I do however love my cichlids.

:wacko:

HI there, pleased to meet you..... I seem to have a delightful weakness for real smart @$$, opinionated pricks , Im glad you are being yourself because I am straitforward and opinionated as well. LadyBlue

I am from Calgary. I feel the same as you J-roc. Forums on the net cater toward a whole different dynamics and geography. Not many people on them (at least the ones I am on) have anybody locally participating.

Things like retailer reviews, fish store finds and general experience are hard to find when you are talking to people from another continent. Anyway, looking forward to it.

:mellow:

Little bit about me I am 28, can be a real smart @$$, opinionated prick. I do however love my cichlids.

:wacko:

Hi there .... I was hopeing you could post some links to the chatt rooms .... Iwould really enjoy these .... Thanks LadyBlue

Welcome aboard Wayne.

You certainly will be a busy person , here. Anyone with as much Expierence as you have.

Sounds like you had your hands full ! lol....

Do you plan on setting up any tanks, once you are settled in ?

Smokey

hi Smokey

don't get in here too often, prefer chat rooms where the replys are instant.]

like I said befor, if anyone wants my input on breeding angels all they gotta do is ask, may take a few days to get back but I will

• 4 weeks later...

:thumbs: HI!, im a born and raised Calgarian, im 29yrs old and have been involved with aquairiums for a long time. i just have one tank at the moment and i service a couple of tanks in my spair time. i currently have a 120g tank with a 30g sump.

my tank hosts 2 hystrix stingrays (1M / 1F) hopefully breeding them soon! but thats comepletley out of my control

2 clown loaches

1 red tail shark

30 asst Rainbows

6 killie fish (yellow)

5 asst plecos

and some live plants

hope to hear from you!

p.s anyone with some exp on stingrays, im all ears!!

Hey everybody, I'm from the Edmonton area, just getting into this whole saltwater thing. My girlfriend and I have decided that we will be investing in a marine aquarium, so we are just lining everything up and figuring everything out. She's a wildlife biologist and I'm a recent grad of Lethbridge College's Conservation Enforcement degree, so this stuff fits in really well with our interests.

I have experience with FW systems, and I was a plumber before I went to college, so I am really looking forward to making something nice for this project! Goals are a ton of live rock, tons of cleaner species, and a few blennies, maybe a mandarin, and probably a foxface or some kind of tang.

Cheers! Stay warm!

THANK-You soooooo much 4 starting and maintaining this group for us I am telling Santa 2 stop twice at your house you fishy little darling ..... Wishing you all the best along with a very happy new year. :smokey:

• 1 month later...

Hi, My name is Mark, I live west Edmonton have had aquariums since I was a kid.I have had a lot of hobbies and find this is one of the most rewarding hobbies that has kept my interest the longest.In the past year I have spent a lot of time and money on my aquariums.I currently have a 300g, 150g, and a 75g. I used to be into Cichlids but have found a love for Barbs and have a number of different size Barbs in my tanks along with a few Cichlids and fancy pleco's. I also have Flag tail Prochilodus's and Pink Tail Chalceus's. I am just starting to get into Geophagus Cichlids as they seem to be a very beautiful fish.I am happy to join this site and will help out with any questions I have the knowledge to answer.I think I am a lifer to this hobby!!! LOL.

Hey,

New tank owner from Edmonton here, just did a fishless cycle on my new fluval edge, ready to do some mods and stock it soon.

Look forward to gaining some good knowledge from this site and maybe find somewhere/someone reliable to buy livestock off of.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I'm 28 and I live in Edmonton. I have had guppies for as long as I can remember. My family, especially my brother, have always kept aquariums. (My brother has been breeding oscars, angels, convicts etc etc. over the years.) I've helped out but never been fully responsible for any fish besides guppies or goldfish. I've recently decided it's time to step it up a bit. I'm now the proud owner of four pea puffers and two ottos. I have well established sword plants (I don't know any other name for them...) growing in my tank (10g), but I'm trying to get a few more plants going. I have 2 new plants, but I was surprised to notice that neither came with roots. Hopefully they will develop. So... at the moment I'm trying to devise a way to get more light into my tank and ways to keep my puffers supplied with snails. I brought home 10 snails and there were snails living in the tank before I brought home the puffers. It's been 2 days and I can't find a single snail. The snails might be hiding in the gravel, but if they are there still aren't many! I've found quite a few empty shells. The puffers won't touch the thawed shrimp the fish store suggested. Figures. Maybe they've just gorged themselves on snails? :P I think I'm going to set up a 5 gallon with some plants and a betta to farm snails. I'm looking forward to scouring the forums here for advice.

Cheers,

Kate