Hello

Nandopsis

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there everyone, glad to see an Albertan forum related to hobby fish keeping.

my profile says I live in edmonton, really Spruce grove is my home. Will change that when I make time lol.

I currently have 4 discus (Albino blue diamond, ocean green, albino red melon, pigeon blood) with 6 GBR's (1 spawning pair at that) 12 neons, a clown pleco and a bushy nose pleco in a 125 gal planted community tank.

On the go I have a 30G hex setup as a quarantine tank for the next 4 discus I am getting octobor 5th, looking to get a golden lollipop, a virgin red, a classic leopard, and a panang eruption. such nice fish, I love them all.

Thank you for welcoming me to this forum.

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings!!! I was on this site for awhile but that was several years ago. I am so glad that it is still here. I sort of lost my enthusiasm for awhile but, the fever has arrived again! Don't know it it's lifestyle change or just a new phase in my life but, here I am again! I live in Irricana, Alberta & have a freshwater tank. Used to run 2 55 gal, 1 33 gal, 1 10 gal & a couple 2.5 gal. I am at 1 55 gal now but, still have all my other tanks. I keep nice community fish that get along with each other. Have been down the road that they are supposed to get along & find out that they don't. I now try to not impulse shop 'cause they're cute & research what I want. I currently have 2 Mickey Mouse Platys, 6 Dwarf Rainbow, 3 Blood Fin Tetras, 4 Three Spot Paraguay Tetras, 2 YoYo Loaches, 1 unidentifiable Catfish (I inherited him from friends, he doesn't come out much unless it is pitch black, feel free to ask questions.....I know I will 'cause he's a strange one!), 3 Zebra Danios & what I thought were Cherry Barbs but, for as long as I have had them they definately are NOT Cherry Barbs (they are my newest mystery!) We also have a Male & Female Crowntail Betta. My daughter used to be an enthusiast with me but, she is now a teenager & if I rely upon her to feed the fish they will starve to death. Go figure!?! I still love her though. I will be posting shortly with questions about my Zebra Danios. They have recently started acting weird. Will try to find the appropriate place for my post. Look forward to getting to know everyone again & meeting new friends! Thanks for still being here! :) Kat

Hi I am new here as well. I live in Calgary and I do fancy the cichlid side especially the Discus and Altum Angels - I love the wild stock as they are so interesting to see them act like fish and not ornamentals. I love watching the Altums coral the smaller tetras (cardninals and Rummy's) and try to pick them off in the community tank. Not into this side of things with watching fish get eaten but if you have had Angels in the past or now they do not exhibit a lot of these characteristics.

Currently I am housing Discus in a planted 90 gallon tank (Royal Green and Red Spotted- F1 fish about 5-6" each) with 250 cardinals and 50 rummys)

Second tank is Geophagus and Plecos with large tetras in a 300gall tank with Drifiwood - Plecos are the stars here with Royal Pleco - broken and soon to be Blue Eyed with many others (I get many fish from my friends in Colombia who are wholesalers).

Anyways that is my intro for the fish but I have been playing around with tropical fish since I was 10yrs old - over 30 years.

Curtis

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I'm Tea (yes my parents really named Me That lol) 23 going of 43 lol....I'm a Uk expat moved to Calgary to be with my fiancé. Currently doing my Masters degree and working as an ems in my spare time.

Always been in to fish since I won my first fish at the fair :D currently in the process of getting quotes for a 350 or maybe 450g custom saltwater tank for the Master bedroom. Back in England I had 2 brown banned bamboo sharks one male one female they bred 2 sets of 4 eggs the first set I hatched 2 died the other 2 were then sold the second set were sold as eggs. I kept my sharks for 4 years and had to sell them before I left :( on the plus side they went to a good home.

Look forward to chatting with you all, learning from you and departing what little shark wisdom I do have :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello I am from Regina. I am new to the forms but like reading and hearing about people's set ups and stock. I have a few tanks around the house. One is 900 gallon with huge fish and 180 gallon sump with auto water change system pumping 1000 gal a week! The other tanks I have are 2. 240 gal grow out tanks and one 90 gal tank for baby rays to live in once born. I am always interested in trading selling or buying new fish, rays ect.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I am from Edmonton. Use to have a 75 gallon tank full of angels but unfortunately I had to give it up when I moved to an apartment. Looking to get back in the game with a planted fresh water tank hopefully in the near future. So just looking for any advice for the future.

Hello, I am from Edmonton. Use to have a 75 gallon tank full of angels but unfortunately I had to give it up when I moved to an apartment. Looking to get back in the game with a planted fresh water tank hopefully in the near future. So just looking for any advice for the future.

ah, a nice planted tank. There are a few who enjoy scapes than fish, me being one! :)

Welcome to AA.

Edited by ckmullin

• 3 weeks later...

Hi . Glad to find this site. New here obviously but not new to hobby. Have had lotsa fish from koi to oscars but just starting on more sensative fish (gbr's) and have been enjoying all the info here already. tank is 120g tall and 30+ mixed tetras and 4 gbr's. No live live plants yet, cant get my head around them enough to keep them alive. Will be looking for advice on them as time goes bye. Thanks for having me!

Hi there from Airdrie.

I have always wanted to get into the hobby and finally did so a the start of November 2012. Started out with a 10 gallon tank with 1 feeder goldfish and a pleco. Fast forward a few months and I'm sitting here looking at my 200 gal bowfront with a 30 gal sump full of African Cichlids.

The system i bough was originally used as a marine tank so the lighting is overkill: 3 x 150 MH, 4 X t5ho (all blue) and 4 led moonlights.

My problem now is that I picked up a book written by Takashi Amano and now as of yesterday I have a bunch of Moss balls, Anubas and Java Fern/Java Moss tied to my driftwood.

I'm really considering getting another tank to put my fish in so that i can drain this one and start over from the substrate up. I really want to sculpt something green!

Thanks for having me,