Hello

Nandopsis

Welcome to our world ...lol ..... I dont know technical words either so dont worry about it.... just enjoy yourself. ....Linda.....

Hello,

I'm 28 and I live in Edmonton. I have had guppies for as long as I can remember. My family, especially my brother, have always kept aquariums. (My brother has been breeding oscars, angels, convicts etc etc. over the years.) I've helped out but never been fully responsible for any fish besides guppies or goldfish. I've recently decided it's time to step it up a bit. I'm now the proud owner of four pea puffers and two ottos. I have well established sword plants (I don't know any other name for them...) growing in my tank (10g), but I'm trying to get a few more plants going. I have 2 new plants, but I was surprised to notice that neither came with roots. Hopefully they will develop. So... at the moment I'm trying to devise a way to get more light into my tank and ways to keep my puffers supplied with snails. I brought home 10 snails and there were snails living in the tank before I brought home the puffers. It's been 2 days and I can't find a single snail. The snails might be hiding in the gravel, but if they are there still aren't many! I've found quite a few empty shells. The puffers won't touch the thawed shrimp the fish store suggested. Figures. Maybe they've just gorged themselves on snails? :P I think I'm going to set up a 5 gallon with some plants and a betta to farm snails. I'm looking forward to scouring the forums here for advice.

Cheers,

Kate

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I'm 29 and got into raising fish last year when I moved into my first purchased home. I was very interested in goldfish particularly lionheads and orandas. In my tank I have a red-cap ryukin, wakin, lionhead and an oranda. They are all doing well and my tank is well established. I was washing my filter every week in tap water for the first bit and I almost learned the hard way when the ammonia levels peaked for a while. Who knew about tap water? No one told me but I read up afterwards and realized what I was doing wrong. I do regular water changes and its kind of relaxing and there is a satisfaction of knowing that regular maintenance will let the fish live a long life and hopefully grow to their fullest potential.

I have to say I never really cared for fish but once you get into this hobby its really addicting and becomes part of your lifestyle and also part of your family.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Lionheader:

you certainly have come to the right place... This is one of the best sites around, certainlly the top in Alberta, to grow/learn.

Ya... dead water/live water!!!

Dead (tap) water is for sterlizing stuff.

Live (tank) water is, well, alive with bacteria and all kinda good stuff that make fish happy. After all you wouldn't wash your fish under the tap, would ya??

Same with your filter media; wash the bio-media/sponge(s) with water from the tank. If it is an AquaClear filter you have room to run 2 foams in the basket. etc...

welcome to Alberta Aquatica

smokey

• 1 month later...

Welcome Kermit. I can't wait to see some pictures of your tanks and also on your breeding setup.

hello my name is kermit getting back into the hobby from a 20 year break

i am nuts about african ciclids

i have about 20 tank set up 240 to 10 gal

i have 7 different ciclhlids breeding for me now with more on the way

and one 50 g salt

Hello everyone,

My name is Will and I am from Calgary. I have 2 180s and in them i have an 3.5' electric eel and in the other I have 3 P. motoro, 1 S. decorus, 1 Panque nigroliniatus, and 2 geos.

I'm considering selling the motoros to Denis and setting up a west african biotope in that tank. drool.gif

I looking forward to being here.

Will

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I'm Terra and this site was recommended to me for lots of great resources locally. I'm new to forums so still trying to figure it out! I'm 25, from Edmonton and work in healthcare. I got into fish pretty recently and am liking it so far! Some specs on my tanks:

55g Tropical tank

9 platies (Red wag, blue spotted, sunburst and blue tuxedo)

9 white mountain minnows

1 african dwarf frog

1 pleco

Lots of plants and driftwood.

This tank is my favorite!

33g tropical tank

1 black ghost knife

2 cory catfish

1 blue platy

1 multicolored platy

3 mollies

1 redtail shark

18g tropical tank

Ameca Splendens

White and dalmation mollies

Heylo Everyone,

My name is Alain and I have been off and on keeping fish for about the last seven years. I still remember when I was buying my first fish at a store and the girl working there told me that Platy would "Not breed in filtered water" so I didn't have to worry about having far too many in two months.... Which I ended up having in my tiny five gallon. Don't have a lot of tanks at the moment as just starting back up, but I have...

An 8 Gallon Bowfront with one very sexist Betta... He loves my wife but anytime I do anything to his tank or go near it he attacks me!

A 29 Gallon Biocube sitting next to me empty waiting for me to be able to afford to buy enough LR all at once to get it started :o

• 3 months later...

Hi Doug.

I used to buy fish from you (me and my mother when we lived in Maple Ridge. We are both in Innisfail, AB now... but still love cichlids and remember your beautiful octagon full of parrots! Neat to see people from BC I have met on here as well. Jodi

Im from the Coquitlam area, right be side our biggest shopping center lol. Im like you have travel BC from one end to the other and only once made a trip to Calgary beautiful City I like all the room there !

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I just stumbled across here the other night while looking for various aquarium supplies, i actually just posted another thread looking for recomendations on tanks, but figured i would say hi here as well

I live in Calgary and have been keeping fish on and off for a while, I recently sold my 80g Bowfront setup complete with fish and all to make room (both in the house and my wallet) for a salt water tank.. i have always wanted a saltwater set up and figured now is as good of a time as any since i am done school and strictly working now....

anyway i currently have

6.5g Fluval Edge - FW with Neon Tetras and a few Guppies

30g - FW tank, houses Tiger Barbs, Cherry Tiger Barbs (i dont know what else to call them.. brilliantly red like cherry barbs but with the tiger stripes and attitude) as well as a Pair of Bristlenose Plecs who despite my not being set up to raise their young, keep on laying eggs... hahaha

Just sold

80G Bowfront - Fresh water, had 6 discus, 8-12 Rosey Barbs (number range is because im not sure how many fry were in there hahaha) Rainbow Shark, 2 Albino Long Fin BN plecs, 3 BN plec, 3 yo-yo loaches and 4 Kuhli Loaches

All tanks have live plants in them because fake ones just don't look as good.

Here is a pic of the 80 i soldth_100_2199.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I am from a small town and this is my second year going to university in Edmonton (transferred after 2 years in Red Deer). I found this website and love it so far...there seems to be endless amounts of information from people who know what they are talking about!

I only recently purchased some bigger tanks again. I have bread almost all the live bearers you find at local pet shops. Have had bettas as a hobby before always long lived.

Recently picked up a gorgeous black metallic looking (fullmoon i think) male. Upon engrossing myself in information overload...wish I had bought his younger twin...probably gone by now!

Anyway just had some questions that need answering and seems like a great way to connect with local breeders and hobbyists. Going to check out Nature's Corner tomorrow for the first time lol pretty excited to have a tank again. Might try breeding bettas before I set up my tank as a community tank.

Wish me luck!

ALSO: looking for blue steel breeding female... as I think this is the best choice to try and breed him to produce fertile blacks??? BUT will try posting some info on the betta forum

Hey everyone. Just joined the forum! I got a 90 gallon a month ago. It just finished cycling and I'm starting an all male peacock Cichlid tank. If you know any breeders or know where the best place to get them let me know. So far I have a 2 blue n golds, 2 sunburst, and a pleco. Thanks everyone!

• 2 months later...

New guy here. Spent a small fortune on my salt water setup and really enjoy it. My daughter is a cichlid-o-holic and got me interested (she has two large tanks and is now breeding em). I wanted salt and she told me not to do it. Now I am adding to my 70 gallon bow marine setup with a 120 gallon setup. Piecing together what parts i can from where ever saves me some $.

As my daughter would say, have a good one eh. (actually the eh is from me)

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

Just bought a 55 gallon tank from a member here who also lives in St. Albert. He recommended me to this site. Hope to meet some of you someday. Well its been about 8 yrs since I've had an aquarium. It started when my Dad won me a goldfish at K-days. That was a long time ago. Well that got me started with a fish bowl. Buying a 10 gallon and then further later bigger tanks.

Tron

Edited by Tron