Will an HOB Filter Fit?

KevinW

Aim the spraybar up at an angle toward the surface. It'll creat a great rippling effect.

Thats what I would do! Use the spray horizontally as above rather than vertical and you'll get your effect.

I am looking for an HOB filter that will fit my tank. I have a custom built tank that has a one inch glass reinforcing lip. I have several Auquaclear filters sized from a mini to a 300 (old designation) but none of them will fit.

Are there any HOB filters that would fit over this large of a lip? To make matters worse I do not have much room between the tank and the wall so the filter can not be more than 3 inches deep.

As the tank was built by Gold's I was hoping someone from the Calgary area would have experienced this situation.

By the way I do have a Rena XP-3 filter but am looking for the water disturbance that an HOB provides as I do not like running an air pump.

Just curious as to how big your tank is. I had a 180 gallon through Gold Aquarium and encountered the same problem with the thickness of the glass lip. I have cannister filters but I wanted to add an Aquaclear for more water movement. I used a heat gun on the Aquaclear tube to reshape it but now it doesn't seat well in the bottom of the chamber so the flow is reduced by probably 80%. I was wondering if cutting out some of that glass lip is an option (the lip goes around the whole perimeter of the tank).

I don't have the three inch constraint that you have behind the tank so perhaps your options are more limited. Maybe I need a powerhead. I see too much debris not getting agitated enough for the cannisters to pick up.

Edited by punman

Short of grinding the glass lip down, I don't think that you'll be able to find a HOB that will fit properly.

This is the exact reason as to why I went with an all-glass tank, and not a custom tank built by Mitch. (via Golds) The same thing happened to Ryan when he got his 228 gallon.

With only 3" of room to play with you are kinda stuck between listening to the vertical spraybar, or getting a powerhead to help. Maybe try the spraybar first and if you dont like how it works go out and pickup a powerhead.

Short of grinding the glass lip down, I don't think that you'll be able to find a HOB that will fit properly.

This is the exact reason as to why I went with an all-glass tank, and not a custom tank built by Mitch. (via Golds) The same thing happened to Ryan when he got his 228 gallon.

Is there any danger in grinding the glass lip? (Danger to integrity of tank)

When we picked up Ryan's 228 the guy who builds the tanks for Mitch ground an area down for the intake on an AC 500 to fit (in 3 spots), and he would have ground the entire back edge down had we wanted to wait another 45 minutes or so. I'm assuming by his offer that it wouldn't have affected the overall structural integrity of the tank.

Just a thought. On my 135 and my 108 (both built by Mitch) I was able to just trim the plastic around the Eurobracing and it was enough to get ac 500s to fit. AC 300s however you will have an issue.

Thanks for all of the replies. As I was afraid, it looks like an HOB will not work given my space limitations. I have adjusted the spraybar but not sure if this is providing enough surface agitation and as I find the air pump too nosiy will investigate powerheads. So much for the extra filtration I was looking for - probably overkill anyways.

Punman - the tank is a 70G custom built 48L x 16W x 21H.

Just a note Mathew (Canadbis) the Ngara's are doing fine - I moved them over the weekend to the 70G as they seemed a little lost by themselves in the 33G, they would hide anytime you would walk by and weren't feeding well. As soon as they were released in the 70G they started swimming more, were no longer afraid of people and they now eat with much more gusto. Nothing like a little competition for food to pick up the appettite.

Quote Just a thought. On my 135 and my 108 (both built by Mitch) I was able to just trim the plastic around the Eurobracing and it was enough to get ac 500s to fit. AC 300s however you will have an issue.

My tank has the glass lip sticking out from the plastic - you'd have to grind/cut the glass before reaching the plastic.

Edited by punman