New fish

fatpuffer

Do betta prefer more of a vertical space such as a bigger vase or more of lateral movement such as a longer narrower tank?

Js

personally i think they would prefer a longer space to swim as they do breath air. The more air space up top the better. I like to keep mine in shallow tanks when the water is not filtered.

UPDATE:

"Dijon" the plakat has been moved from the vase to a spacious 2.5 gallon tank (THANKS LILWOLFE!).

Substrate is Flourite so it is still a bit hazy but using jvisions techniques (plate and slow pouring), it turned out better that I thought it would. A few water changes should clear it up nicely.

Tank has no filtration but have java moss, some stem plants, some Vine type plant, java fern and floating plant...do not know the names of the plants...haha.

The fish is adjusting well and the plants are pearling so it seems that they are getting enough light. Moss is still floating because of the bubbles from pearling.

Js

P.S. I usually do a 50 percent water change every other day...so he is well taken care off even in a small tank such as this.

ALSO...Neil do you have NLS for betta? currently using the smallest ones...I think it is community one.

Js

ALSO...Neil do you have NLS for betta? currently using the smallest ones...I think it is community one.

Community pellet is fine. Kathryn Stuart of Dee Mark Betta feeds all of her betta fish the 1mm TherA formula, but this species will do well on any of the various NLS formulas.