I'm cursed these days

johnsmith

A while ago I had a small AC filter quit on me and I assumed it was just b/c it was old - I got it used.

Today I did a water change and when I turned the powerbar back on the powerhead was working but the AC filter was not. I turned the bar off and on again and now nothing works. The outlet is working and the filter doesn't work when I plug it into another plug. I guess it's the powerbar that did the damage.

Are these things permanently wrecked?

I now now have a tank w. no filter and possibly no heater - it's a stealth so it doesn't have an indicator light. I touched it and it isn't warm so it could be gone also. This is the same tank I'm treating for camallanus.

Anyone have an extra filter & heater for a 25g for sale?

Anyone have a large dose of clove oil - that could be another way to solve my current problems :shifty:

Have you tried using a pin or something to push the impeller in your AC? I frequently have that problem - after turning power back on the AC doesn't work. All you need is a straitened paper clip or something. Push the intak aside a bit (like for less water current) and push the impeller blades. Should get 'er goin again.

Have you tried using a pin or something to push the impeller in your AC? I frequently have that problem - after turning power back on the AC doesn't work. All you need is a straitened paper clip or something. Push the intak aside a bit (like for less water current) and push the impeller blades. Should get 'er goin again.

You, my friend, are a genious. :bow:

The filter is now working and hopefully that means the heater's okay.

Now when I have some time I'll have to see if I can stick a pin into the powerhead somewhere and I'll have to get out my old filter to see if I can get that working again - assuming I haven't thrown it out. I also have an AC 802 powerhead that stopped working (in a totally different location). Maybe my fortune in turning around.

Try pulling the impeller out and cleaning it. They sometimes get compacted with dirt and have trouble starting on thier own.

I agree...likely your problem, and if this sort of cleaning is not done ever 4 weeks or so, chances are the filter will not self-start if you have a power-cut (even a 3 second one).

Try pulling the impeller out and cleaning it. They sometimes get compacted with dirt and have trouble starting on thier own.

I agree...likely your problem, and if this sort of cleaning is not done ever 4 weeks or so, chances are the filter will not self-start if you have a power-cut (even a 3 second one).

You can usually feel the motor is hot when it is stuck. If it was cold and not working, you can garauntee a short or seized.

Edited by Trooper

• 2 weeks later...

You can usually feel the motor is hot when it is stuck. If it was cold and not working, you can garauntee a short or seized.

Buy a small tooth brush for cleaning works good for the impeller well to.

I usually just use a Q-tip to clean mine.

If you cut a slot in the middle of one of your filter pads and stick it over the intake you should never have any problem with the impeller clogging up and you also have additional biological filtering area which is readily cleaned.

Buy a small tooth brush for cleaning works good for the impeller well to.

or just use someone else's