Clown loach question

FishBrain

I understand that these guys do not breed in captivity but I have 3 new ones in with my clan and the clan is now at 10. Since I added the new ones I have one (older) that has gotten REALLY fat!!. Thats the only one looking like that, all the others look normal/healthy

Does anyone know how they breed? Live/eggs? Cave/open? Rock/sand

I figure they are not breeding but

More curious than anything

Kind of hoping for the quick...here is what I know.

Looking after 3 kids right now and dont have time to read a full article.

going back and forth to pc and leaning at the moment and thought I would post.

I will read the articles tonight after hockey tho

The first time I heard of them being bred (by accident) was in 1996.

It was written about in Practical Fishkeeping magazine.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/...?article_id=556

I never bought that article, especially as after a decade, with many other doubters and a lot of pressure, still no photos.

• 2 weeks later...

Matthew, I do believe that the clowns are being bred now in S.E. Asia on a regular basis. Years ago all the clowns were wild caughts, but now they are commercially raised - at least the little guys that are available.

Leave it to those commercial breeders in Thailand, etc. I swear those guys can breed rocks. LOL

Any that bred in a tank here would be the wildest fluke imaginable, as conditions must match the natural habitat. eg. water temperature, food, rainy season, dry season - it just goes on and on. It would not be impossible, just highly improbable to match their exacting demands before they are ready to breed.

I read an article in TFH several years ago about Clown Loach spawning. The writer shut the filtration off for a week and fed heavily. Then did a HUGE WC and cranked filtration. Basically, the writer simulated a dry season (may have been more than a week, actually), then a big-time rainy season.

However, as many have mentioned, I don't recall seeing pics of fry. Spawning and rearing young are two different stories.

Yeah

I'm not holding my breath thats for sure.

People who claim to have bred them also say that they eat live fish before breeding.

Im not holding my breath, but they had been acting wierd lately, doing the old fight/love movements and their colours didnt change as per usual. So I thought I would question it.

Fairdeal: Are there pics of the asian bred ones?

Thanks