large indoor pond

snaggle

Who here has indoor ponds? How do deal with humidity? What kind of livestock do you have? How do you fillter it?

I want to build one but I am afraid of the humidity issue that you will have with the larger surface area that ponds tend to have. how many koi can you keep in a pond that is 96x48x24. I plan to make the pond out of ply-wood and pond liner, it will be framed like a wall with studs and two laters of ply wood. I am going to finish the outside with tile, I am going to screw it together in such a way that I can take that pond apart to move it when I get posted.

If I dond build the pond out of ply-wood I could build it like this.

Tammy_Pond.jpg

I want to get some Japanese koi but I dont want to keep them out side since I have somany stray cats and am close to a wild area.

Brad

Edited by snaggle

I have a fishroom with all open-top tanks. I thought the humidity in the room would be crazy, and I'd have water dripping from the walls; but, I don't. With the air so dry, which is being blown in through the furnace vent, I don't have any problems. In the fall, there was a bit more of an issue b/c I didn't have a door on the room, yet. Winter in AB is a lot dryer than other seasons, so I still have to wait to see how badly I need a dehumidifier.

I want to keep some expencive koi and being in the forces I might have to move lots but an indoor pond I can bring with me. Also the koi don't get eated as offten inside.

Brad

Go with a large water trough

well my dads boss has a great big pond outside he keeps them outside in the spring (after the snow melts) then in the fall (after the first snowfall) he takes them inside and he has a 70 gallon trough in his house then he put them in there.

A 70 gallon trough isn't going to keep many koi that are more than a year old, and many people with large enough ponds overwinter their fish in the pond (which is what I'll be doing once I get my pond done this spring).

I'm kind of looking at the same thing, and there seems to be a number of different pre-formed water troughs out there that many people are using with great success. One of the benefits of many of them is the drain on the bottom, which would make it much easier to drain than without (you could do it in a DIY pond, but it would be more difficult to get a good seal, and I'd personally always worry about leaking).

Another place to look for info is some of the sites where members are keeping some of the huge fish, ie. monsterfishkeepers.com, as a number of them either have huge tanks or indoor ponds for their monsters.

Best of luck!

When Oxquo lived in Edmonton, he had a pretty big pond in his basement - I'd guess it to be around 1000gal.

I have seen round water troughs aproimately 6' in diameter. and 30" deep

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

fans would be a great asset to curing humidity. or you can buy a dehumidifier but they are expensive. a simple broan 110 cfm bathroom fan exhausted outside would defiantly work.

yours truly

experienced heating and ventilation installer

Henry has a fairly large pond in Nature's Corner and while the store is a bit larger than most people's basements he is one of the best sources for information regarding all things 'pond'. He probably knows at least a dozen other people with ponds indoors, and in smaller spaces.

Not a Vendor Review, this is a simple fact that Henry knows what he's talking about and I'd recommend him whether he was a plumber, a newspaper delivery kid or a LFS owner.