Fish room

Sam Chicklets

Well I spent a week moving my computer shop out of the small room in the basement and now I am going to set up a small fish room. The room is 8' 3" by 10' 6". I went to my friends acreage on Saturday and waded through 2 to 2 1/2' of snow and retrieved my only remaining fish room stand. Aside from needing a good cleanup and a paint job the stand is still in great shape considering that it has been sitting outside for about 10 years. I need to do some work on the room first though.

The hole in the corner odd corner was designed around a gas meter that Atco wanted a large sum of money to move outside when the room was built in 1987, so it was better at the time to build around it.

fishroom006.jpg

fishroom007.jpg

Almost all cleared out any way.

fishroom009.jpg

The beam you see protruding through the wall was installed a year ago to level my kitchen floor as the builder in 1960 did not put all the joists crown up and when I renovated my kitchen I had to level the floor.

fishroom010.jpg

I will update this post as things progress. What size of fish rooms do you guys have?

Edited by Sam Chicklets

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My fishroom is 10x10 with a 2 sqft jutt for a sink.

I have 1 90 gal

3 60 gal

2 30 gal

6 15 gal

1 10 gal

I built mine from scratch, so I had the luxury of insulating the walls and ceiling; so, I can just heat the room, instead of each individual tank. If at all possible, I highly recommend it. :)

Have fishroom, have fun! :thumbs:

2 of the walls are insulated I did that in the late 80s. I can also insulate the wall that the door is on as it is open on the other side. I was also thinking of heating the room.

If there's any way to insulate the ceiling, it'd be well worth it b/c if you heat the room, most of it will escape to the next floor.

Unfortunately I really don't want to take the ceiling dwon to insulate it as I just put it in a year and a half ago. So it will have to stay as is.

Quick update with photos. got the dry wall installed and the first coat of mud on. window casing installed, and the base board installed. I'm hoping to second coat and sand tomorrow.

fishroom011.jpg

fishroom012.jpg

fishroom014.jpg

fishroom015.jpg

Sasha got in on this one. One of my 4 footed assistants.

fishroom017.jpg

fishroom018.jpg

Pardon the mess.

They will be coming soon enough LOL

Another update I went out to my friends acreage on the 13th and waded through snow above the knees to get my tank stand that I had built in the 80s and hauled out to the farm in the early 90s where it has been sitting in the field since. Man was it a job getting it out of there. We had to dismantle it in place with a screwdriver and a cordless drill as it was frozen to the ground and to big to budge. We hauled the pieces into the house on the weeken and let it melt and dry off. after a good cleaning sanding and a coat of paint it is ready for use as soon as the paint drys.

tankstand003.jpg

tankstand006.jpg

tankstand007.jpg

Sasha and Tazz are sure giving it a good inspection.

The stand is 8' long the bottom shelf is 28" the middle is 24" and the top is 20" accross. shelf heights are 12" 40" and 68" from the floor.

Tomorrow a 25 long goes in with krib fry, momma just laid eggs again and the parents are chasing the fry off. I'm afraid they might kill them. And a 33g goes in with convict juvies in it. After that a 20g tall with Angels. Right now I have approximately 285g in assorted sized tanks for the room. But I need to get more equipment and make glass tops before I'm all setup.

Edited by Sam Chicklets

Thanx Sue I will do that. I appreciate the info.

Yay tanks!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Finally got some tanks in on the shelves.

settingup001.jpg

settingup002.jpg

The 25 long with the krib fry. My female laid again yesterday. And the pair were getting aggressive with the fry. so the lid is a temporary fix until I get a glass top and my flourescent lights installed.

settingup003.jpg

I still have to fix a couple of the tanks before I fill them. And will be moving another 15g and a 20g tall down yet.