50 Gallon Tank

Terrie Lee

Whilst looking online for 50 gallon aquariums I noticed that many offered are of the acrylic variety.

My 20g is glass and I am quite satisfied with that, but if acrylic is better for a bigger tank perhaps I should go that way?

I was wondering what people on AA thought, and why you prefer one over the other.

Also what is the availability of each?

I prefer glass. They're cheaper and don't scratch as easily.

BUT acrylic is supposed to last longer, and apparently, minor scratches in acrylic can be repaired. I have no direct experience with acrylic, that's just what I've read. Bob Fenner recommends acrylic, I believe.

Edited by Osprey

I have heard that acrylic is better than glass once it gets thicker (as in 1/2 inch and up) as it doesn't 'warp' the image as much, allowing for better optics. Refraction I suppose is the technical term.

Glass is far more scratch resistant but acrylic is more resiliant to breakage depending on what you are keeping. Also if you want a Panaque they cannot be kept in acrylic tanks.

Thanks for the info everybody, I think I will go with glass as well. The higher expense of acrylic doesn't seem worth it for a 50 gallon.

That way I have a great tank and more money to spend on fish, wich is what I really want to spend my money on.

I would agree with your choice to go glass in this case. Acrylic does tend to be cost prohibitive on smaller tanks.

Some added information for future reference:

Glass Pros: Cheaper, somewhat scratch resistant, can be cleaned with ammonia based products (Windex), readily available, allow for wide selection of filters.

Glass Cons: Heavier than acrylic, prone to "stress fractures", tinted - this is not so noticeable on smaller tanks but those with thicker panes look green compared to acrylic.

Acrylic Pros: Much lighter, resistant to warping and/or breakage, not tinted - give more accurate representation of colors, scratches can be buffed out.

Acrylic Cons: $$$, not always readily available, scratches very easily, tends to "yellow" if cleaned with ammonia based products, many tanks are designed for wet/dry and don't allow for use of HOB filters.

Just my $0.02 :lol:

Edited by Doc_Polit