Galaxy Rasbora

Osprey

Practical Fishkeeping

They kept the collection site a secret for a long time, now we know why.

Anyone who has bought them should try to breed them.

Edited by Osprey

Great...there go the prices shooting through the roof like the PlayStation 3's at Christmas time.

If I had some....I'd breed the fry and give them for free. Too bad I didn't have a tank set up when I was in Calgary last weekend. :(

Colby, you were wondering who is breeding these? Hopefully anyone who can.

It would be nice to see a rare species breeding program set up here by the members of AA, where some of the more rare species of fish could be bred and the stock passed on in order to supplement the low stock levels. I know there were some members on the cichlid forum who had some species of Victorian cichlids that are already extinct in the wild, who were trying to find others to raise and pass on the fry in order to promote the species.

It is truly sad when man cannot leave a good thing be.

That is about the sickest thing I've heard to date in the hobby. That a fish like that could be brought to the brink of extinction (at least as far as we know it) so quickly due to the demand in the hobby is an absolute disgrace.

To anyone who's bred or has tips about breeding this fish, I'm all ears, as the ones I have will soon be in a species tank with the intent to breed and distribute.

wow. but of course we know the majority of people out there will buy them anyway. I guess the through the roof prices will deter the general public but still, people will buy them. I think people should tell local fish stores about this so at least suppliers know that alberta stores do not support overfishing and destroying natural habitat. anybody here feel deja vu from injected fish boycotts?

i think its sad that people would rather enjoy something in their homes rather then leave it in the wild when its numbers are low.

i hope no one on this site will buy these fish now that this information has come up. unless they plan on breeding them.

i hope no one on this site will buy these fish now that this information has come up. unless they plan on breeding them.

I hope anyone on here who has the space will buy, breed, and distribute them. It'd be nice if the stores could try to ensure that happens for purchases (yes, I know...next to impossible, but it'd be nice), rather than just purchasing them for show.