Should the group vote in member banning???

Vote yes or no  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'd also like to say that I think Jay has a good handle on this site, and if there's

any voting to be done, I vote that Jay is the only person that should be handing out permanent suspensions.

I'll second that motion. I've PM'd Jay before when certain topics started to blow up, and to this day, I have no idea what his opinon was, except that it was impartial, as any good admin should be.

With the amount of biased opinions I've seen from certain moderators on here, it's only fair to members to have Jay decide on permanent banning.

Just what would specifically be called disruptive? Having a different opinion?

There's nothing wrong with a difference of opinion...Some people are downright rude about it...Discussions start and people start attacking other people, under the guise of "protecting other hobbiests"...I don't think the negativity does anything to further the hobby...and like you said, how do you seperate valid complaints from people that just don't like other people...You can't...So it should be up to the Admin(s)...Any of the negativity/rudeness could very easily be dealt with via email so the rest of the forum doesn't have to read it...Just my opinion, and I'm sure many would disagree..

David

p.s. I have no interest in voting on anything-I just come here to read about other people's fish, check out some interesting pictures, and maybe learn something new..If it's not a fun/positive place I just won't visit as much..

Agreed.

John is there a problem w/ someone i don't know about?

no problem at all J-ROC, just that I had seen this kind of vote recently on a board and found it quite interesting. Just a topic, funny how people all want to have an opinion based board but if someone makes a topic that doesn't agree to them, they freak out. I think that is a point in itself. Anyways, if there was a problem I have no prob dealing with it, This was mentioned in the beginning that it was only a hypothetical question, and there is nothing wrong with good wholesome debates on the board. I think that only 1 person ever on this board deserved a good cyber spanking and has gotten a few ever deserved to be tossed. That person has calmed down a little but really, unlike others on here feel has never learned from mistakes. I must be the only one who ever hears about it and points it out to the other admins. Anyways long story short, I may have learned my lesson of posting anything debateable without holding a vote on it first lol. JK.

And for my next debateable discussion " Betta's are not truly fish because they breath air!!!" Did I ever tell you about that one on a different board? Ahhh sweet memories.

Just a topic, funny how people all want to have an opinion based board but if someone makes a topic that doesn't agree to them, they freak out. I think that is a point in itself.

Once again I'm left out of the loop, exactly who was it that freaked out?

I think the only point made here was that a using a members poll for ousting other members is not such a great idea.

Once again I'm left out of the loop, exactly who was it that freaked out?

Perhaps he means the moderators who kept deleting posts because they didn't agree with them.

Or gee, maybe it's me. After all, I've made negative comments about Gold Aquarium before, and that seems to be a faux pas.

Dunl :shifty:

After all the PM's I get about other members, do you think it's fair to hold a poll, set by the admins on whether the group would be better off without a disruptive member?

Absolutley; BUT WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY A POLL?

If a member/person abuses the rights they should be banned.

This is a bulletin board. they are rules , set by the service provider.

This is a public forum. No "Rude " lauguage, etc...

If you want to run a bulletin board and deligate respondsibility, do so.

Do not take a special interest in banning some one who might one day kiss your butt!! Sorry for being so blunt.

SOME Persons travel from forum sites to forum site, and in the end all they have succeeded in doing is raising a bad taste in other members mouths. [ and causing some members to leave}. or the demise of the forum.

This is not new. These people have no home. Only a place to stool in.

Anyways.

This turned into a excelent little topic. Everyone put in there two cents, and the results remained the same. :huh: *Go figure*

As everyone here knows. That if there is a problem just P.M. me or one of the other Admins and the problem will be resolved.

One way or another.

I think things have always worked out that way J, I'd also like to add that messages that appeared that were un called for were addressed to J and moved accordingly, I am not sure about the disappearing posts which keep getting mentioned although I have removed a few of my own and even asked another member to re-word his before. I myself think this was a good topic and it never hurts to bring up discussions from other boards. Difference of opinions are well accepted and I have never shown bad feelings towards them, after all fishkeeping is an antisocial sport. Over all I see it as just and fair that a vote is not favoured enough to constitute change and that is fine with me. No reason to whip out your little stiffies and chase me around with them lol. I see alot of interesting things on other pages such as the merchandise link where you can order merchandise with your logo in single quantities yet have a large variety of items, I think it was a good idea yet the idea when mentioned went nowhere. Obviously what looks appealing to me isn't to others and that suits me fine, it is my opinion that the idea is good we all have our own opinions.

Either way I am glad to see people on this board took part in this poll and revealled their opinions. As for the shirts, to those that I brought it up with before, I ordered 2 sweaters, 2 tank tops, 4 coffee mugs and a mouse pad all look really good. Price per shirt was average at around $22.00 shipped by the time it arrived.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't ban for an opinion.

Users should realize that there might be children logged on, and the use of foul language should be kept to low/NONE.

Voice your opinion, just dont get personal if someone does not agree with you.

The MODS rule.

Let them choose who to ban. I came here for fun, not politics.

Board rules are board rules.

Can't everyone just get along.

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

My $.02...

I have not seen any examples of flame wars in this forum, so I'm not sure why this topic was started, but I have seen things happen in other forums, so I will make an assumption and say this... ( much of it already said earlier in the thread)

Liveley discussion and heated debate can be very constructive and important . It would be a big step backwards to ban such things on the basis of personal feuds, or difference of opinion.

.. True, some are less tactful than others, with respect to expressing opinions without stepping on toes..

Elitist species snobs .... Educated scholars, and PHDs.. Amateurs and hobbyists, professionals.. Newbies.. We're all here. Comes with this territory. Doesn't really matter what the forum is about, a forum is like a quasi-social representation, a cross-section of a given comunity, with all of its quirks and varieties.. I've seen PHDs make a$$e$ of themselves, I've seen newbies share very interresting ideas..

I can say, that from what I've seen in other forums, it works best when:

a) the moderator is the only one who can ban anyone, and this should be only when b, c, d have ALL been violated..

B) The subject matter stays 'on-topic'.

c) watch the language. - And of course,

d) unnecessary character attacks. Just not constructive at all...

:boxed: