Breeding Questions!!!

Dominic

Question! After you notice a female cichlid holding, How many days before you take action to try and save the little ones from certain cannabalism?? Does this depend on Species? I have Pseudo Saulosi and Flametail breeding groups. Do you seperate that female and make her cough them up into a breeding net?? I need some advice on the best way to do all this breeding stuff, I already have some growout tanks for the fry.

Edited by Dominic

If I want to keep the fry, I usually try to catch the female at around the 2 week point, and put her into her own tank - or part of a tank.

When she spits, you can move her to a different tank to fatten her up, but I've found that if you feed her well, she'll leave the fry alone - at least with most Mbuna.

I move mine to another tank as soon as I notice and let them spit on there own. Then I remove the female to a recovery tank for a couple days, Then back into population. The most I have had them hold for is 17 to 24 days. Last yellow lab spit yesterday after holding for 19 days.

I too seperate the female to another tank at about 2 weeks (or when her mouth seems quite full). I leave the tank unlit but for the room lights. I don't like stripping as I like to see the fry feed and return to Mom's mouth for safety. I feed Mom as well as little ones. I often see the fry eat the artesmia right from inside her mouth. Mom spits them out , feeds, then lets them back in. They graze on the algea covered rocks I place in the tank with her. After a couple weeks of in-outs Mom finally pushes them out permanently, that's when I take her out to the com. tank. I find the fry are stronger, butchier and much less shy then when I've tried stripping. It's a longer process but I love watching the interactions, nothing like watching the whole bunch of them scramble back into that mouth. lol And believe me they can tell time! Usually 20 minutes before I turn out all the other lights I can watch them go into her mouth for the night, way kewl. I think mother nature designed them this way so IMO it's the best way, after all, the african people don't go into the lake to strip them lol. Sue

Couldnt you just put a divider in the tank with the female in it? Seems to me this would be better as the female would be less stressed by leaving her in the exact same water...

Question! After you notice a female cichlid holding, How many days before you take action to try and save the little ones from certain cannabalism?? Does this depend on Species? I have Pseudo Saulosi and Flametail breeding groups. Do you seperate that female and make her cough them up into a breeding net?? I need some advice on the best way to do all this breeding stuff, I already have some growout tanks for the fry.

The tank I use is the exact same water taken from the main tank. I fill the holding tank 1/2 to 3/4 full then top up with fresh water. It's like a water change happening on both tanks.

Couldnt you just put a divider in the tank with the female in it? Seems to me this would be better as the female would be less stressed by leaving her in the exact same water...

Say if you did put a divider into the tank. Would it be of any benefit at all if you had two females holding and you put them both in together with the males separate? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

If you're wanting to strip the female, the method I used was to hold the fish, then use a toothpick to open her mouth. Give her a little shake in a tub of tankwater and the eggs/fry will come out.

She will also spit the fry out on her own when she is ready.

If you go the divider route make sure that the divider fits perfectly in your tank. Any spaces between the divider and the tank wall will result in the fry escaping. Its not fun when you wake up to discover that your fry were able to squeeze through and were eaten on the other side :(