buyer/seller feedback

Gr8Blade, that is a very interesting idea.

BCAquaria.com serves a very similar function to AlbertaAquatica.com (only for BC, obviously) and has a user feedback forum which seems to work quite well. I have used it myself and found it to be quite helpful. This may be useful to look at if considering a feedback mechanism for AA.

Having a forum/thread for each user's feedback also allows the interested parties to praise or criticise in detail, and for the rated user to reply. I agree that a forum such as this will need to be moderately a little more aggressively and the utmost respect for all users strongly promoted.

Worth looking into at the very least imo.

I'm not opposed to letting ppl give negative feedback. IMO, no news is good news, so if someone doesn't comment, the they're fine. If they want something different, then they should say so.

I'd also like to be able to read what other people say about their purchases - it can help us all improve on what we do for other hobbyists.

I agree with xerxes in that if we were to allow people to positively and negatively comment on purchases, the comments should be in detail. That way if some bad incident does happen to occur along the lines of a fish trade, then the users can decide who's fault it actually was, and ultimately helping the users in chosing to buy from the seller or not.

then the users can decide who's fault it actually was, and ultimately helping the users in chosing to buy from the seller or not.

Or vice versa

If you want to see how a forum like this can get out of hand just check out AquaBid.com. It started out with the best of intentions- to inform fellow buyers and sellers who were the conmen, the shysters, the deadbeats, etc. and to let others know who were THE people to buy from, but has lost some of its focus and now a lot of it is just pi**ing matches between 2 people with everybody else defending both parties.

Problems only arise with shipping the fish or the product - if it is local you get to see it and if you don't like what you see just walk away and that is pretty much the end of it. As soon as you start knocking the other person and their products watch out because that won't be the end of it believe me.

I ship fish and up to now have never had a problem, but if one arose I would bend over backwards to make it right. Put yourself in the other person's shoes and do what is expected and then add to that and you earn your reputation in this hobby. Never a bad deal, always a fairdeal.

Things should be able to be worked out between 2 reasonable and responsible people without having to be resolved in a public forum, but how to warn others of things gone bad without a resolution has to be carefully thought out. Hard feelings are not easily forgotten.

I too want only to make sure that people are satisfied with their purchases from me. As a rule I do a followup with the buyer.

I was following the feedback posts when a AA member got screwed on Aquabid it was nasty. Physical violence against family members was threatened,lawsuits,insults,etc.It was pretty bad(the AA member did not participate in the gong show)

As for the rewarding of a token, as Gr8Blade suggested, that would simply add to our previous problem of post-whoring.

As for a detailed explanation by both parties: never works... you have to assume that both parties will first be honest, and second will actually reply. If no one says anything... is that good, bad or kinda neutral?

I have seen a system that was known to work for the limited time it was in use (the forum it was on folded a couple years ago) but it was VERY moderator intensive and not really translatable to the current system we have here. I don't hav the time for a major overhaul of the B&S (nor does anyone here have anything close to the time a mod-intensive application requires).

Please, feel free to continue the brainstorming... we might be able to find something viable here with everyone's feedback.

As for the rewarding of a token, as Gr8Blade suggested, that would simply add to our previous problem of post-whoring.

Just a suggestion

Ok, so, here's how the points could work:

3 points for every new topic that you post.

2 points for every reply that you post to other members' topics

1 point for every reply that someone posts in a topic you started

0 points for posting a reply in your own topic

Something like this anyways.