Wiggly...........

Terrie Lee

I noticed just before the ACE meeting a wiggly transparent worm about 3/4 of a cm long. It was in my 5g fry tank. I fished it out and thought nothing of it. Then 2 days a go another little worm in my 29g tank, fished it out again thought nothing of it. (I should pay better attention to these things!)

Just now I found another worm in my brand new 60g this one was bigger and disapeared before I could grab the net and fish it out.

What is this? Please help. Could this be the source of my troubles in the 29g? I have been treating for ich for the last 2 days with super ich cure.

Dammnit will I ever get this fishkeeping thing right? :cry:

:( :boom:

You may have hydra. It is caused by over feeding, and can cause other issues as well.

Did I forget to mention it was free-swimming?

It seems that everything that happens to my tanks is caused by over feeding. Anyone want to train the newbie and invite me over to watch a fish feeding?

I really have to get a handle on his.

They were also tubular and had no appendages whatsoever.

What you need to do is feed your fish a little bit at a time and watch them eat, as soon as they slow down stop feeding. Do this several times and you should be able to guage how much to feed them.

I only feed my fish what they can eat in 2 minutes or less and they don't starve to death. Also twice a week I skip the morning feeding.

Hydra are sesile, so it's not your problem.

Flukes? I don't think I've ever seen one leave a fish, so I doubt that's the case.

Maybe a type of planarian, which are usually harmless.

Reduce the feeding a bit - a small pinch once a day is enough. Maybe increase WCs, too, for a while. Up to 50% per week (or 25% 2x per week) is not too much.

I've had them in tanks before too, never seem to cause any trouble for any of the fish I've had them with. I did some research on them in the past, but never found anything conclusive on them. I've seen them anywhere from about 0.5 cm to 1 cm long, and often seem to be in tanks where I've got flies on the surface as well (with live plants - vals on the surface). Not too sure if they're related at all or not, but I've always wondered if they're the 'juvie' stage of the flies. I've also had them on the underside of glass tops too, and usually take them off with my finger and put them in the tank where the fish usually snap them up.

I've had them in tanks before too, never seem to cause any trouble for any of the fish I've had them with. I did some research on them in the past, but never found anything conclusive on them. I've seen them anywhere from about 0.5 cm to 1 cm long, and often seem to be in tanks where I've got flies on the surface as well (with live plants - vals on the surface). Not too sure if they're related at all or not, but I've always wondered if they're the 'juvie' stage of the flies. I've also had them on the underside of glass tops too, and usually take them off with my finger and put them in the tank where the fish usually snap them up.

I have these in my 10g planted tank. I do not feed these fish because they eat these worms, plus all that is left are 3 fish in this tank. I have also assumed that they were related to the flies on the surface of the water (they look like aphids, but i have also seen dead house flies in the hood).

Chantell

I do have small houseflies! Not many, so I never really connected them to the worms in the tanks.

There is not anything on the surface of the water but there was a small fly stuck under the canopy right before the last one I found.

I hope the fish eat them good for all the worry those worms caused me! :chair:

I have these in my 10g planted tank. I do not feed these fish because they eat these worms, plus all that is left are 3 fish in this tank. I have also assumed that they were related to the flies on the surface of the water (they look like aphids, but i have also seen dead house flies in the hood).

I just had a large amount of these as well in one of my tanks, they looked like fruit flies to me. I heard couple of other people also had this happen. Kind of odd.