What is the purpose in Freezing fish?

nevchewy

I don't think there's any real purpose for freezing fish once they're dead, unless it's maybe brand new and you've got to show it to the person you got it from for a refund.

As for euthanizing, I usually give them a quick slam on the ground or in an empty bucket; takes only an instant and there's no suffering.

Well right now my lizard is in the freezer because we were waiting until the ground thaws enough so we can bury him. Otherwise I've frozen fish when I've wanted to dissect them to see if I could find some internal parasites, but I couldn't get my hands on a dissecting kit so that didn't work out.

i've only used the freezer as a euthanasia tactic. already dead fish just go straight to the trash.

as leon mentioned, i know the vodka/water solution works, and have heard of the clove mixture working also.

swift decapitation is probably the most effective method~just hella harsh.

I used the freezer to euthanize sometimes btu i dont' keep them in the freezer afterwards.

I could see keeping them if you need proof of their death(to show the store) or if you are in the BAPA program and your fish die before 60days is up. You need to keep the parents as proof.

I euthanize using alcohol... goes very quick. We have our son's betta in the freezer waiting for burial, but we have him understanding the toilet method now for fish in general. Winter can be long here and I don't have that big of a freezer. ;)

First and foremost is to euthanize the fish but because we keep both CA and SA Cichlids you need a freezer handy until they can be taken in the trash....way too big for the flushing method.

Actually have a 10 year old female Gold Severum in the freezer right now.

Stacey

When I kill my bait minnows after catching them in my seine net (it's the law they must be killed immediately) I just add half cup of salt into their bucket. They don't last long it seems to go fairly smooth.