Hello from Lethbridge

Pacu Lady

Hello from Lethbridge, Alberta! My husband and I have been keeping fish for 25 years. We currently have:

20 gallon tank - 4 x clown loaches

1 x Frieberg's Peacock

3240 gallon tank - 25 year old Black Pacu

5 year old "baby" Pacu

28" Tiger Shovelnose Cat

28" Black Arrowana

26" Irridescent Shark

12" Tilapia

4 x full grown Tin Foil Barbs

5 x 12" Plecostamus

5 x Synodontis Eurpterus Cats

200 - 250 African Cichlids

Totally agree that Gold's is the best - we buy all our Africans from them! :thumbs:

Welcome to the board! 3200 gallons....that must be impressive. How is it constructed?

Thanks! - my husband built it - it is 12'L x 6'H x 6'W and is constructed of 2x4 - 4" on centre and 1 1/2" thick plywood, held together with 36 yards of fiberglass matting, 10 gallons of resin, and 10 gallons of gel-coat. There are 2 panes of glass that measure 5' x 3' x 3/4" thick. The tank is powered by a 3 hp pump that pumps about 9000 gallons per hour, with a 3/4 hp backup that will pump about 4500 gallons per hour. Filtration is provided by 3 swimming pool sand filters - there are 3 x 4" suction lines to the filters and 2 x 2", 12' long return lines back to the tank. Approximately 1/2 ton of gravel covers the bottom of the tank and there are about 1/4 ton of large rocks and slate inside. There is a 5' tree stump in one corner with a 12' limb off a local apple tree that spans the tank. It's been a lot of work, but we needed to accomodate our "baby" of 25 years! :baby:

Welcome to AA!

I just gotta see that tank! Be sure to post-up some pictures soon.

Now, when my wife complains about the size of my 200 gallon (90"x22"x24"), and can always tell her... "It could be worse - it could be 3240 gallons!"

Were is your tank situated in the house... I am assuming it's in the basement. What kind of stand does it use... I am guessing it weighs over 15 tons!

You could vary well be the only one with a pacu, that actually has the real estate to house one. Good for you, that is awesome!

I would also love to see some pics. :welcome:

Especially a black pacu...I have only ever seen adult specimens of those well housed in public aquariums and zoos.