Play box sand in an aquarium?

drunkendj

One thing that will help is to hang an AquaClear filter on the tank, in the part of the filter that would normally hold the sponge, take out the sponge and stuff it with filter floss.

The filter floss will take out alot of the dust particles. You'll need to replace the floss every 2 or 3 hours, but it works, fairly quickly.

I used sand bags in my 150 and 20 I only rinsed 2 out of 5 bags there was lots of silt in my tank, it too over a week with an ac 500 and filter floss to clear the water in the 150 and a week on the 20 with an ac mini and filter floss. Once it has settled I find the fish are kicking up very little silt.

Brad

Another vote for target sand here - I now have it in three tanks, and the only major change is that I don't plunge the python all the way to the bottom glass anymore, I just kind of hover over the substrate, and the detritus floats up.

To rinse mine, I put it in a bucket about halfway filled, then put it down in the sink, and filled the bucket with lukewarm water, stirrring the sand in the bucket and letting it run over till the runover is clear. Takes about 5minutes or so per bucket.

I heard you could use it so I bought some and put it in my 100 gallon. Its just its so messy. I thought it would clear up in a couple hours but its been 24 hours and still looks the same as the time I filled up my water. Ive seen videos of people cleaning sand in their tank and the sand wasnt too messy but when I even touch my sand the slighest, it forms a messy cloud. Does play box sand just suck and I have to get better sand to do the whole process over again, or do I just have to wait an extra long time for it to settle? I got burnco sterilized and washed sand at rona.

I use play sand in all of my tanks. To wash it I fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of sand, stick to hose in it until the water runs out clear. Put sand in tank and repeat the process. I put the bucket around my trees outside so that I don't waste the water.

FYI, I just filled my 135 w. sand. Thought I'd find some good play sand at Rona - they carry Burnco play sand. It's just to fine, and will cloud the water when fish dig/swim in it. Target Play Sand is the best, IMO.