Filter advice for a 120-150 gal

Jods2518

The A.C. 110 is the new name for the A/C 500. diffence is they now also come with bio.media. [suggested retail in Canada is $109.99.[ ouch!!].. Everything

else is the same [ foams are now 110] lol. Just new boxes. all the A.C. products are coming out in new packaging/ etc.... and a slight price rise.. :(

To DRILL the tank_ or not to DRILL THE TANK. Good Question :w00t:

A sump is a great unit on any tank. Small or large. Out of sight; extremely efficient; all mechanical in the sump; constant water level in the tank; easy to do the W/C's; very easy to clean and maintain..mpe

The intial cost:

Drilling the tank; [ $10.00 to $25.00] or [less if you have it done by the manf.].

The sump container; anything from a glass tank to a good rubbermaid continer. larger the better.eg:_ $8.00 [20 gal. rubbermaid ]; 33 gallon glass tank free/used or new ))

A submeragable pump. Capable of pumbing 500 to 1000 gph at the height of the tank top. [ say 6 feet]. $50.00 to $130.00; depending on the quality of the pump/efficienty.

Sump Media - for mechanical and bio-logical filtration. One time purchase! Lots of choices. check around. The more media the better..mpe.

BONUS - once you have the submergable pump you no longer need to "BUCKET" water. The pump can do it for you. [ Caution - this could cause a slight weight gain, of the hobbiest, due to lack of back breaking lifting 5 gallon buckets of water][ and more time to sit and watch the fish]. :lol: again mpe.....

Jodaye, there you go, three choices to choose from:

Hang on back filter; eg_A/C 500/110 [ double up on the foams is reccomended]

Canister filter - the larger the better

or

A Sump. the next frontier... :drool:

and you thought it would be simple to choose.... :well: :lol:

Best reguards.

What are your thoughts[??].

Smokey

B)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Smokey! Thanks for all that, great summary of my confusing little mind!

I would personally love to have a sump, but is there somewhere you can buy them!!..haha! I really can even fathem the thought of putting one together, I am lacking a handy male half in my life, and I have a total of 3 screw drivers in my non existant tool box!

I do want to make sure I buy the best possible equipment, like I said if it takes me 2 years to purchase the tanks and all accesories, thats cool, but quality is impportant. My Stepfather is building the tank stand (hes a carpenter!) and it could take hime that long to get that built! Then the tank and geez the list goes on and on :wacko:

I am leaning towards 2 canister filters, either the Eheim 2217 x2 or some comparable comparison, I know I have a tendancy to over stock so the more the merrier!

Thanks again!

Jodaye

Hmmmmm ... choosing between a XP-3 or a Eheim. [ a big Eheim ].

Over the years I have formed a philosopy about Eheim products [ I have owned many of their great products ] _ Eheim's are green - same color as money :bow:

Personally speaking, I am a devote and user of sumps. So I am a bit biased.

I also hold a record for putting the most amount of water into a 33 gallon tank_ 50 gallons... :cry: :grrrrr: top that one, ehhh... :tongue:

Jodaye_ you say you will have time on your side, to make a decesion ... great :wub:

I like to suggest, to hobbiests, two things:

1 - join a great fish forum, post questions.

2 - Join a local Aquarium club.

You have already had the foresight to do the first; CONGRADULATIONS :thumbs: :thumbs: and BTW _ welcome to AlbertaAquactia :wub:

Second - If you are in the Edmonton area; think about taking in a A.C.E. meeting. [Aquarium Club of Edmonton]. // Calgary area - C.A.S. { Calgary Aquarium Society]. Either club is internationally know. Great people, and you just may find someone who has some equipement laying around.

Thirdly - Stay tuned. I'm sure the other members of A.A can be of help. { some/many do order form the U.S. suppliers] great oppertunity to get in on a order and reduce shipping costs]}.

HTH

Hey J-Roc

Question about the 2217's ....can you clean them, they don't look like a regular canister as you can see through them and they seem like a sealed unit.....how do they work? They are on sale for $119.00 each at pet solutions, that is american though

They come apart just like evey cannister does. There are clips on the top where the clear cannister meets the pump on top.

I think it would be much cheaper to buy one here. After you look at the exchange rate, and shipping. Plus you don't have to wait for it to be shipped, you just go pick it up.

I am with Smokey on this one. There is no substitute for a wet/dry when you get tanks over 90. If it were up to me I would put a 10 gallon sump on my daughters 3 gallon betta tank in her room.

The maintenance becomes easy, the filtration is superior and you can stick anything you want in the sump and save the tank room. The biological filtration, the water movement, oxygen intakes etc. It is the way to go. Also the cost is less than canisters.

I am setting up a trickle for my new 135 right now and trying a cpr overflow. If that works than I will quash any negativity I have towards this type of filtration which of course is drilling a tank.

Well In my shopping today at Big Als I found the filstar xp3 @ $207.99 (94.99USD = 114.95CAN at Pet solutions) and the Eheim 2217 @ 199.99 (119.99 USD = 145.20 CAN at petsolutions) which is still about 50 dollars more than the petsolutions after the exchange, I'll still have to look into the shipping but Im gonna go with pet solutions if the shipping is cheap, well under 50 cause Im getting other stuff lie NLS and 2L prime for 32.99 USD=39.92 can...not bad if u ask me when I saw it at Big Als for 79.99 for the 2L!!

Just thought I'd fill everyone in on the prices, I'll let you know about shipping!

Im also looking for a tank, the one im leaning towards is the 125 (72"L x 18"W x 22"H) was at Big Als for $379.00, does anyone know of any cheaper prices out there??

Hey thanks for that site Rahim, seems though that it is still cheaper ordering through the pet solutions as well as they have the selection, and NLS food!

I will however keep them in mind for future orders, we are putting together a group order from petsolutions so the shipping will be minimalized!!

I decided on 2 of the eheim 2217's for the "BIG" tank that may not be built for a year or so, but i figure its better to start the exspensive collecting process earlier rather than later! ( an dperhaps I can add them to my 55gal and get the filter loaded so to speak!

Unless ther eis someone willing to put together a sump for me!! ^_^

Edited by Jods2518