Filter advice for a 120-150 gal

Jods2518

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO the Filstar ranks right up there with the best. I have a XP3 currently cycling in a 75 which will then be transferred to my new 180 when it arrives. Filter is easy to set up, self priming , gives you a spray bar aption and has loads and loads of room for media choices. The only thing I don't like about it is the clear input and output hoses which show all the crud, however one will definitely know when to clean them.

Rick

Jods2518 - the Filstar xp3 [ for $95.00 u.s.] is a good price. Check around for local prices. The filters are very easy to clean and maintain, 3 - large baskets for the media. Positive water flow shut off. No problem to start. Air locks are never a problem! Generally a very nice filter.

At only 350 gph, you may find it a slightly undersized for a 120-150g. tank. [depending on the tank foot print_ 4 foot or 6 foot]. and the livestock load. This can be solved by moving the output flow [return water] so it pushes the debre towards the intake stem; [opposite ends of the tank]. OR you could instal a small PowerHead to help move the debre towards the intake pickup. An Air pump w/airstones also help . Keep the water in motion.

The hoses supplied are very flexiable/ and of ample lenght. Being transparent, they do show "crud" build-up.[ Doesn't matter if we can see it or not.. it does develop. ] Just helps us know when to clean them. :lol: Those little brush cleaners, on a flex-line are great; 36 or 48 inch long, for keeping the hoses clean. Also great for cleaning the impellar well and internal surfaces on the filter .

I installed { November/2004} a 2xp on a 50 gallon tank.... replacement for the 5 year old 303 Fluval - [which died after air got into the impellar, ran dry, and over heated the motor unit :angry: }

Cleaned the filter 2x. Very easy and much easier than the old 303.!! NICE UNIT !! :thumbs: :thumbs: MPE.

HTH

Smokey

B)

You can pick up a new one at gold's for like $149.00 (I pretty sure) yuou can call and find out for sure....(403) 273-5567....

I don't think a Rena XP3 on it's own will work for a tank that size. I would recommend 3 Aqua Clear 500's at $55.00 each to run that tank. that will give you 1500 gallons per hour or 10 times the water in your tank in one hour!!!!!!!!!!

You should be filtering the entier contents of your tank 8-10 times per hour for good filtration!!!!!!!!!!

Just my 2 cents.

HTH

Rahim

Pet solutions

Well the Aqua Clear 500 doesn't exist on Petsolutions, but there is a 110 for 32.99, above link, same filter??

Im kinda a fan of a canister filter, but I have an hangy one on my 29gal and it is easy to clean etc, but the canisters you have to clean less often. 3 of the Aqua clears would to the job on a tank that size though hey, I am just researching this for now looking for the best equipment at the best price...we all have more time than money!! ^_^

What about the Fluval 404 for $89.99 american, not enough fitration??

Edited by Jods2518

I have a 404 running on a 77 g tank for the past 3 years and with the excpetion of having to replace the head unit after 6 months it has worked fine for me. I do however prefer the Filstar XP3 to the Fluval. The 3 Aqua Clears will definitely do the job and you could use double sponges or the new units now come with biomax etc. Cleaning could be rotated on a one filter per week basis. The down side at leat for me with the HOB's is the amount of room they take up at the back, between the wall (if that is where you have it) and the tank. Also you lids will have to be cut to fit the relatively large openings that these filters require. Pro's and con's for both I guess.

Personally, most of my 40 aquariums are filtered with Hydra sponges and a central linear pistion air pum. Maintainance is a breeze with sponges and they provde a hugh area for bio load.

Rick

ya I wouldn't even know where to begin, Im so not handy! and I hear they take up alot of space that I don't have, this is going to be a show tank and I wouldn't know where to put all the containers and hoses so they weren't in the way and/or view??

Im thinking I may have to go with 2 canister filters to keep up with the filtration though

Jodaye - the wet/dry sumps go under the tank in the stand. You just have to make the stand into a cabinet. It helps to keep the sound down as well - works great for a show tank set up.

www.cichlid-forum.com has some great DIY articles.... search the discussion area as well for help.

If you can run a cichlid tank with correct water parameters, you can build a wet/dry. ^_^

Running the water 8-10 times a hour is only needed when you are using a HOB filters, because canisters can hold alot more media that kind of flow is not needed.

A sump as Dunl has mentioned is ideal, but many people get intimidated just by the mention of them.

So i would suggest using a cannister, or 2 if you plan on having alot of fish.

I run a Eheim 2217 and a 2215 on my 165g.

If you plan on having alot of fish. Then you can cut the suggested capacity of the filter atleast in half, and cut it by atleast 1/4 if the tank is barley stocked. IMO

Ya honestly, I cry at the thought at having to build a sump, I read the articals and have no idea what any of it is, Im a firm beleiver that canister filters were designed for people like me!!

so I think what I'll do it get that filter and perhaps add an AQ 500 to it, or another canister who knows, but its gonna take me some time to get everythng collected for this tank, one thing I may challenge is the cool 3D backgrounds I've seen around.....and maybe even the undergravel powerheads, that looks sweet!

Thanks for all your opinions, this is where you really reap the benifit of being part of a forum like this, hope to be of some help to the rest of you in the future, oh and don't think im done asking your advice!!

Jodaye

Well if the Big Als sale is still on then you can get the XP-3 for $149, or the Eheim 2217 for $199, But the XP-3 and the AC 500 would be a fine and inexpensive choice.

I would go w/ the Eheim and the AC 500 if you have the money, but that is just my opinion. (Personal experience)