Filter advice for a 120-150 gal

Jods2518

Hi Rahim, thanks for that little tid bit, but I did decide to go witht he eheim 2217's for the tank, i wish I had known that you could buy them though, I didn't even think to ask when I was out shopping.....do you know the approxament price of one for a 150gal??

Its too late for me but might be good for the pple reading to know this, have a fantasticly swimming day :lol:

Jodaye

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really Rahim? Damn, should have gotten mine there. I got mine from my ever so favorite Bow Valley, for I think... $150? $160 with either 8 or 12 gallons of bioballs. Then I bought some dense foam from Big-als, a jug of carbon, and some filter bags. All together Im guessing I spent $175 (Have enough for multiple changes). Then I bought my Mag-12, for $195 or something like that. So... $370... (33gallon sump)

Last time I was at big als, I thought I saw the same sized or near it to mine for $260, without pump, but maybe Im wrong.

This is actually more of a trickle filter. True sumps with baffles, bulkheads and drilled returns are more along the line of the prices FishManTy paid. Actually, I think you got a pretty good deal.

Edited by CptCleverer

Like J-roc mentioned its not just GPH that is important for a filter, media volume is key, which is where canisters kill AC 500's

AC 500s may push 500 GPH but some of the water bypasses media and is just circulated

I won't argue that canister filters are generally better at bio filtration (due to the amount of media you can pack in them) but the reality is that for most tanks AC 500's will hold more than enough media to properly filter any tank. As long as the bio filtration matches the bio load of your tank, that's all that matters. Sure you can stick a big honking Eheim on a 30 gallon tank, but it's overkill, and it's expensive overkill at that.

IMO that's the beauty of the AC 500, not only does it move a ton of water (which means superb mechanical filtration) but it also holds plenty of bio media, and they are CHEAP. (in comparison to most canisters) If money is no cost, then Eheims are the way to go if for no other reason but the lower amount of regular maintenance, but don't be fooled into thinking an AC 500 won't provide enough bio filtration to handle a heavily stocked tank.

Last year I vistited an elderly koi keeprs home, where he had a custom made 6ft 90 gallon tank, ran by two AC 500's. This tank contained approx a dozen koi, with the smallest being 10 inches, and the largest being 17 inches. (I held a tape to it as I couldn't believe how freakin big it was) This was a temp set up to hold his koi over the winter months until his indoor pond was finished. There were no ammonia problems, no nitrite problems, and enough fish in that tank to feed a small army. All being biologically maintained, by two AC 500's.

BTW - GPH ratings on filters are highly overated. Those ratings are used by manufacturers on filters with no media. Once the filter is filled with media, you'll find they no longer are moving what they are rated for on the box. The more waste they accumualate, the slower the flow.