Free swimming Apistogramma Cacatuoides

patrick

When I arrived at my office this morning there was a pleasant surprise waiting for me. I knew she had eggs but I was certain that I would loose them since she laid them only 2 inches from the filter intake. I guess I was wrong :rolleyes:

There's about 20 of them and they seem very healthy. They must have been free swimming for a couple of days. It looks like they are eating that slime on the wood. Surprisingly, the female is not aggressive at all and the male is allowed to get close to the fry. He does not seem interested in having them for supper even though they have not been fed since Friday.

Too bad my camera sucks... time for a new one...

fry_may22-07.jpg

fry2_may22-07.jpg

Mother in the background

apisto_c.jpg

The father.

Congrats on the fry! I've found with my Julies that the slime/algae in the tank seems to be the best food for the babies.

Thanks. It's wierd, that slime or algae or whatever it is, only grows on that particular root on certain spots. It's been like that since I set up the tank. It appears that there is something in the wood that causes it to grow.

Congrats on the fry.

It's wierd, that slime or algae or whatever it is, only grows on that particular root on certain spots. It's been like that since I set up the tank. It appears that there is something in the wood that causes it to grow.

Water molds and fungi often grow on newly submerged wood in an aquarium, breaking down the cellulose and lignin as a food source. This attracts all sorts of bacteria, microscopic creatures, small crustaceans, nematodes, etc. Voila! Perfect fry food. Biofilm

About half of the fry are still alive and about twice the size. Not too bad considering they are only eating whatever food they can find. The only thing I have been adding is some crushed flakes and pellets.

The parents are spoiled with live mosquito larvae and daphnia since I have an unlimited supply of those.

female2.jpg

Couldn't get a picture of any fry, but they are behind the wood. You can see that she is getting ready to defend her babies.

male2.jpg

Look at that belly, loaded with daphnia and mosquito larvae.