looking for...

I have a pair of bookworm kids here, who some of you may already know to also be very much

into fish. They have asked me to find them some good fish books, particular interests are

Cichlids, catfish, plecos, guppies, bettas, and RAYS are at the top of the list. They like to

see pictures of different colors, ie different types of rays. They don't get much computer

time to go looking things up and alot of the books I've found are either super expensive

or just beginner grade info. My kids can read and understand college level, so alot of whats

out there just bores them. If anyone has any suggestions, send them this way!

My favorite books have been the beansch Aquarium atlas(I have volumes 1&2 and the photo one) and also "Malawi cichlids in their natural enviroment 3rd edition". "Malawi cichlids" is a great book as its packed full of info about the fish in their natural habitat and also has tones of great pics.

I don't know about Rays, but BARRONS puts out a series of pet books, from Dogs to Dwarf Hamsters and From Cichlids to the Marine Nano. They are good because they are type specific, rather than one big book that may tell you about all the fish families (my preference because you learn about many more fish than you set out to learn about), these ones will tell you all about the sort you want to hear about.

So I would go with an "Atlas" or "Encyclopedia" type book.

The Baensch atlases, The Cichlid Aquarium by Dr. Paul Loiselle ( great reference even for non-cichlidiots ), Labyrinth Fish by Helmut Pinter ( best book for atmosheric air breathers ), Corydoras, anything by Ian Fuller, and I would also say that the Barrons books ( the ones I've read ) are spot on in terms of the info provided.

Toirtis has a good selection of literature, you may want to check with him.

Toirtis has a good selection of literature, you may want to check with him.

...and I suggest joining the CAS....the CAS library (which members are free to borrow from) is one of the most extensive in Canada, and enables you to peruse a large number of hard to find and expensive to buy books at no cost (apart from your membership fee): http://www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com/library_books.php