Shipping boxes

snaggle

Dose any one know where to get shipping boxes for fish? preferably wholesale. I have been looking and all I can find is some in BC I am hoping to get them from Alberta so I dint have to pay as much for shipping them.

Brad

No idea, really. Both Riverfront Aquariums and Aquatic Imports simply re-use the boxes we get fish in from our suppliers. Since each supplier's box (both styro and cardboard) is different, I assume that they must each have them made to order by some manufacturer...as far as I know, those manufacturers are in the US and overseas, so you may have to see if some manufacturer in Canada can produce some for you.

I found this link with helpful information in regards to shipping your fish safely with what methods.

http://www.nativefish.org/articles/Shipping101.php

I think Patrick (moi hubby) and degrassi got the styrofoam correct but read the article for complete instructions on the do's and don'ts.

patrick,

I will have to check Rona when I am in the city tomorrow.

Toirtis,

Do any of the boxes you get have a name printed on them? I have one manufacture for BC that I am going to contact once I am closer to opening up shop.

Brad

Toirtis,

Do any of the boxes you get have a name printed on them?

I will have to check when I am at the shop tonight...all are printed with the fish-farm's/exporter's name, but I am not sure if there is a manufacturer's name (I assume on the bottom), as I have never checked.

Check shipping regulations with Airlines as well. Some require cardboard around styro.

My plan was ones I get the styro boxes I will order custom boxes from a supplier in Edmonton.

Brad

I wouldn't assume that saving on shipping by buying locally would actually be cheaper then ordering from a large distributor, I have found in my business this is usually not the case. You can try medical supply distributors too... not sure of prices though.

My plan was ones I get the styro boxes I will order custom boxes from a supplier in Edmonton.

Brad

I talked to a couple of manufacturers....minimum order is around 500 boxes, but because they cannot be collapsed like cardboard, shipping on them (from the US to Canada) is brutal...I would be surprised if you could get away for less than $8-$9/box.